Norfolk Halls

Banham Hall [4987] 1965-08-25
Barningham Winter Hall south front [6332] 1985-06-06
Built for Sir Edward Paston and wife Margaret Berney in 1612. Their arms and date on the entrance porch. Humphrey Repton altered the south front in 1807.
Barningham Winter Hall west front [6331] 1985-06-06
The Pastons went bankrupt in 1756. Subsequent owners were William Russel, Thomas Lane, and from 1785 the Mott family. The only Paston house remaining as a home.
Bawburgh Hall from SE [4567] 1960-08-01
Bawburgh Hall and slipper chapel [4566] 1960-08-01
The dovecote 'slipper house'. Allegedly used by pilgrims to St Walstan's well.
Bayfield Hall from SE [4465] 1956-08-25
18c hall. Built by Henry Jodrell, barrister at law and recorder of Yarmouth, before 1788. Later home of Sir Alfred Jodrell, Bart., who in 1900 restored the ruined church of Glandford.
Beeston St Lawrence Hall entrance front [6509] 1988-08-07
Built in 1786 in place of an earlier mansion on a different site. It is in Gothick style, castellated and faced with square knapped flint. The seat of the Preston family since 1640.
Beeston St Lawrence Hall garden front [6510] 1988-08-07
Blickling Hall south front from road [3611] 1946-03-27
The hall, designed by Robert Lyminge and built between 1619 and 1624 for Sir Henry Hobart. Altered between 1765 and 1770 by a Norwich family of architects named Ivory.
Blickling Hall south front [3859] 1950-05-28
Blickling Hall east front and gardens [3862] 1950-05-28
Blickling Hall north and west sides [4563] 1960-07-17
Blickling Hall main south entrance [3863] 1950-05-28
AD 1620.
Blickling Hall long gallery plaster ceiling [3861] 1950-05-28
Jacobean ceiling.
Blickling Hall long gallery ceiling detail [3860] 1950-05-28
Blickling Park mausoleum [7854] 2001-09-30
Built 1793. Designed by Joseph Bonomi. Commemorates the Earl and Countess of Buckinghamshire.
Blickling brick tower Racecourse stand [7055] 1993-08-14
Booton Hall main west front [5997] 1978-09-09
The Booton estate was sold by Christopher Layer, a mayor of Norwich, to Peter Elwyn of Tuttington in 1713. The present building is a mansion of plain brick, much altered in the 18th century, when the Queen Anne gables were in part hacked away, a second floor added, and a Georgian roof erected over the whole building.
Booton Hall rear from NE [5998] 1978-09-09
Bowthorpe Hall main east front [5993] 1978-09-09
This property belonged to the Yaxleys in the 16c and was for many years the home of Catholic recusancy. About 1620 Henry Yaxley, with a view to defeating forfeiture as a recusant, conveyed the property to one Browne of Colney as a trustee who it appears proved dishonest. Sir Robert Yallop rescued this and other properties during the Commonwealth and for his good services Yaxley conveyed Bowthorpe to him. Sir Robert died in 1705. The Hall is of 17c style and was probably rebuilt by Sir Robert.
Bowthorpe Hall south front [5994] 1978-09-09
Bowthorpe Hall east front door [5995] 1978-09-09
Breckles Hall gateway [6394] 1986-06-21
Breckles Hall from SE [6393] 1986-06-21
The hall completed in 1583 by Francis Wodehouse of Kimberley.
Breckles Hall north wing [4101] 1952-09-11
Breckles Hall south side [4102] 1952-09-11
Breckles Hall west front and S wing [4100] 1952-09-11
Breckles Hall west porch [4099] 1952-09-11
Bylaugh Hall ruin north front [7085] 1993-10-17
Built 1841-52. "A conspicuous ruin. The house was built by Charles Barry junior and R Banks. It is Elizabethan in style and derives from Wollaton on the one hand, from Barry's Highclere on the other." (Pevsner)
Bylaugh Hall clock tower and arch [7086] 1993-10-17
Arch to outbuildings of hall.
Catton Hall north front [6827] 1992-06-09
Built by Jeremiah Ives, mayor of Norwich in 1786 and 1801.
Catton Hall south garden front [6389] 1986-06-19
Catton Hall camellia house [6390] 1986-06-19
Catton Old Hall from SW [6058] 1980-04-06
Has initials I B and date 1632 on a stone in the north wall. North side of Lodge Lane.
Colney Old Hall entrance gates and posts [4776] 1964-06-27
Colney Old Hall from south [6768] 1992-05-04
Costessey Hall ruin [B613] 1933-07-02
The manor was granted to the Jerningham family by Queen Mary. The hall pictured was built by a descendant, Lord Stafford, in 19c. Demolished 1920-30.
E Barsham Manor [1528] 1937-03-27
East Barsham Manor House sometimes called Wolterton Manor House. The manor was held by the de Barshams soon after the survey until Henry III, when it came to the Woltertons. Early in the 16c it was devised to Sir Henry Fermor whose son Sir William was responsible for the present house.
E Barsham Manor gatehouse [1527] 1937-03-27
It has been described as probably the richest example of mediaeval brickwork in England.
E Barsham Manor gatehouse and house E end [5571] 1976-06-06
E Barsham Manor gatehouse and house W end [5570] 1976-06-06
Elsing Hall south side view NE [4741] 1963-07-26
Still surrounded by a moat, it was originally built in the 13c and was rebuilt by Sir John Hastings c1470.
Elsing Hall south side view NW [4740] 1963-07-26
Elsing Hall north side view SE [4738] 1963-07-26
Elsing Hall north side view SW [4739] 1963-07-26
Elsing Hall north side from across moat [4737] 1963-07-26
Elsing Hall west wing from north [4742] 1963-07-26
Felbrigg Hall entrance front from SW [4289] 1954-09-09
Built on the site of an earlier fortified house, the south front of the present building dates from 1620, the western wing being added in 1686, the work of William Samwell. It was for many years the home of the Windham family. The last private resident here was Robert Wyndham Ketton-Cremer, who died in 1969 and bequeathed the property to the National Trust.
Felbrigg Hall entrance front from SE [4293] 1954-09-09
Felbrigg Hall front doorway [4292] 1954-09-09
Felbrigg Hall arms over front doorway [4295] 1954-09-09
Felbrigg Hall Georgian west wing [4290] 1954-09-09
Felbrigg Hall west wing cornice and chimney [4291] 1954-09-09
Felbrigg Hall servants' wing [4296] 1954-09-09
Fritton Old Hall [7680] 1999-08-21
Gimingham John of Gaunt's Hall [7684] 1999-09-19
Gt Cressingham Manor House south front [5823] 1977-06-09
Built by the Jenney family. Their crest, a falconer's hand gloved, from which a falcon is rising, appears in the terracotta panels with a monogram of two J's crossed and an E connected by a knot of intricate design. They were probably intended for John Jenney who lived at Cressingham in 1556, and his wife Elizabeth. Sometimes erroneously called a priory because in the 13c the manor belonged to the prior and convent of Norwich.
Gt Cressingham Manor House SE turret [5824] 1977-06-09
Guist Sennowe Hall lodge gate [7230] 1995-07-22
Of the Hall, Pevsner noted "Mostly by Skipper, 1908, but a core of the 18c. Brick, brown stone and red stone."
Gunton Hall south side [7182] 1995-02-12
The Hall was built in two periods. First c1742 by Matthew Brettingham, a range being added c1785 by James Wyatt. The earlier house destroyed by fire in 1882.
Hales Hall gatehouse north side [4616] 1961-07-29
Built principally by Sir James Hobart, who died here in 1517. He was attorney-general to Henry VII.
Hales Hall barn and stableman's house [4618] 1961-07-29
Of the main hall, only the foundations are visible. It stood to the west of the barn and gatehouse.
Hales Hall gatehouse south side [4617] 1961-07-29
The adjoining range is said to have been the stables. The upper part, judged by the Flemish bond brickwork, must be 100 years later.
Hanworth Hall east front [5348] 1973-06-02
Hanworth Hall from NE [5347] 1973-06-02
Heydon Hall lodge gate Holt Rd [6974] 1993-05-16
The eagles on the gate pillars are part of the Bulwer arms.
Heydon Hall lodge gate Wood Dalling Rd [6976] 1993-05-16
Holkham Hall south front from SE [4813] 1964-08-17
Created by Thomas Coke 1697-1759 afterwards first Earl of Leicester. Building commenced 1734.
Holkham Hall south front from SW [4811] 1964-08-17
Lord Burlington and Coke together planned the hall with its pink pillars. William Kent was the architect of the house and much of the park.
Holkham Hall north front from NW [4810] 1964-08-17
Holkham Hall coach house [4815] 1964-08-17
Holkham Hall fountains at south front [4812] 1964-08-17
Holkham Hall park towards memorial column [4814] 1964-08-17
Holkham Hall Bygones museum steam cart [7936] 2003-08-07
Soame steam cart, designed and built by George S Soame of Marsham in 1897.
Horsford Church St Horsford Hall north side [6826] 1992-06-09
Hoveton Hall across lake [7623] 1999-05-02
Built between 1809 and 1812. Attributed to Humphry and John Adey Repton.
Hoveton Hall from driveway [7622] 1999-05-02
Hoveton Hall gardens spider paving [7620] 1999-05-02
The central feature of the spider garden.
Hoveton Hall gardens spider web gate [7621] 1999-05-02
Made in 1936 by Eric Stevenson of Wroxham.
Keswick Hall south front [6606] 1990-04-30
Garden front.
Kirstead Hall [3608] 1946-03-26
Built 1614. The Godsalves owned the manor at the close of the 16c, after which it was acquired by the Osbornes, who may have built the present hall.
Kirstead Hall dovecote [3350] 1940-03-25
Lammas Hall west front [6871] 1992-06-27
Centre part c1690 added to during the next 100 years.
Langley Hall Loddon Rd lodge gate [6801] 1992-05-23
Langley Hall Loddon Rd lodge gate [6738] 1991-09-08
Designed by Sir John Soane 1784.
Langley Hall Langley School [6804] 1992-05-23
Designed by Matthew Brettingham and built in the 1740s.
Langley Hall outbuildings [6803] 1992-05-23
Former stables became part of school.
Letheringsett Hall south front [6049] 1979-09-12
Built in the mid-18c possibly by the Brereton family.
Lt Hautbois Hall from footpath [6367] 1986-05-14
Built in the style prevalent in the reign of Elizabeth I, probably by William Baspole who acquired a long lease of the property in 1553, and in 1600 settled it on his son William on his marriage with Maria Cully. Richard Day was living here in 1652.
Lt Hautbois Hall from old rail line [6366] 1986-05-14
Mannington Hall south side from road [6012] 1979-06-04
In 1541 William Lumner obtained a licence to embattle and fortify it. In the two octagonal towers at each corner of the south front are the original lancet windows, but the rest appear to have been inserted about 1560, judging from their richly bevelled brick mouldings.
Mannington Hall from SW [6016] 1979-06-17
Mannington Hall from NW [6014] 1979-06-17
"The hall is a 15c moated manor house looking much the same no doubt as when it was first built with flint flushwork in the walls. Parts of the house were extensively restored by Horatio, Earl of Orford, who lies buried under an elaborate coped tomb in the ruins of the church on the other side of the road hidden in the trees." (Norfolk a Shell Guide by Harrod and Linnell)
Mannington Hall west front [6013] 1979-06-17
Mannington Hall south side [6015] 1979-06-17
Mannington Hall from SE with moat [6017] 1979-06-17
Marlingford Old Hall 1679 [5058] 1966-06-04
Bears the date 1608 in stone and 1679 in irons and the initials C I for the builder Clement Jermy.
Merton Hall east front [5819] 1977-06-09
19c. The 17c hall which adjoined to the south-west was destroyed by fire January 1956.
Merton Hall gatehouse R G 1620 [5818] 1977-06-09
Built by Richard de Grey in 1620.
Merton Hall rear and gatehouse [5820] 1977-06-09
Morley St Peter Old Hall east front [3974] 1950-10-07
An Elizabethan mansion, moated and of red brick, once the seat of the Sedleys. Restoration in progress in 1950.
Morley St Peter Old Hall NE wing [3973] 1950-10-07
Morley St Peter Old Hall west side N half [3972] 1950-10-07
Morley St Peter Old Hall west side S half [3971] 1950-10-07
New Houghton Houghton Hall entrance front [4086] 1952-07-31
Built by the first Prime Minister of England Sir Robert Walpole, in the 1730s, the architects of the hall were Colen Campbell and Thomas Ripley, with William Kent responsible for the interior work.
New Houghton Houghton Hall garden front [4085] 1952-07-31
New Houghton Houghton Hall stables [4087] 1952-07-31
Oxborough Hall from NE [4792] 1964-07-25
Oxborough Hall from NW [7767] 2000-08-13
Oxborough Hall gatehouse and moat from NW [4790] 1964-07-25
Oxborough Hall from west [4791] 1964-07-25
Oxborough Hall south side west half [7766] 2000-08-13
Oxborough Hall south side east half [7765] 2000-08-13
Oxborough Hall gatehouse from courtyard [4794] 1964-07-25
Oxborough Hall gatehouse NE turret on roof [5749] 1977-04-14
Oxborough Hall E wing from gatehouse roof [4793] 1964-07-25
"Built of brick in 1482 by Sir Edmund Bedingfeld, it sits squarely round a courtyard."
Oxnead Hall [3609] 1946-03-27
Only one wing survives, which was built by Clement Paston in the reign of Elizabeth I.
Oxnead Hall from NW [7662] 1999-07-18
Rackheath Hall side gate [6733] 1991-09-01
Originally part of the Golden Gates entrance to Rackheath Park.
Reepham Hackford Hall [7711] 1999-11-07
Late Georgian.
Sandringham House garden front [0184] 1934-08-08
Sandringham House formerly owned by the Hoste family, was bought for Edward VII, then Prince of Wales, by his mother Queen Victoria. He rebuilt it in 1870, architect A J Humbert. Enlarged in 1881-4 and again in 1892 after a fire the previous year which destroyed part of the upper storey. Architect Colonel R W Edis.
Sandringham House entrance east front [7897] 2002-08-17
Sandringham House York cottage [0188] 1934-08-08
Home of King George V and Queen Mary.
Sandringham House lake [0185] 1934-08-08
Sandringham House museum former stables [7898] 2002-08-17
Motor museum.
Sandringham House Norwich Gates [2531] 1938-07-09
Sandringham House Norwich Gates inside [7547] 1998-05-10
Designed by Thomas Jekyll, the gates were made by Barnard, Boulton and Barnard of Norwich. Shown at the Great Exhibition of 1862, and given by the county of Norfolk to the Prince of Wales as a wedding present. (Pevsner)
Sandringham House pagoda [0191] 1934-08-08
Wooden temple with Chinese Joss flanked by two stone Japanese beasts.
Sandringham House Chinese Joss [0190] 1934-08-08
Bronze statue plated in gold of the Buddhist divinity Kuvera. Brought from China in 1869 an inscription on the base indicates it was made in 1690.
Sandringham House floral display [0189] 1934-08-08
Sandringham House garden and dairy [0193] 1934-08-08
Sandringham House rockery and waterfall [0187] 1934-08-08
Sandringham House kitchen garden [0192] 1934-08-08
Saxlingham Nethergate Hall [3038] 1939-05-29
The Old Hall was built in 1662 of stud and plaster brickwork and portions of clay lump. It replaced an earlier edifice which was the seat of the Gleane family, of whom Peter Gleane was Mayor of Norwich in 1615.
Saxlingham Nethergate Hall W front from NW [4199] 1953-07-26
Saxlingham Nethergate Hall W front from SW [4200] 1953-07-26
Saxlingham Nethergate Hall front garden [4202] 1953-07-26
Saxlingham Nethergate Hall rose garden [4198] 1953-07-26
Saxlingham Nethergate Hall S front and lawn [4201] 1953-07-26
Saxlingham Nethergate Hall Spanish garden [4196] 1953-07-26
Saxlingham Nethergate Hall summerhouse [4197] 1953-07-26
Sheringham Hall [7502] 1997-09-28
Built 1812-7 to the design of Humphry Repton and his son John Adey Repton.
Sheringham Park 1975 temple [7504] 1997-09-28
Sheringham Park 1988 gazebo [7503] 1997-09-28
Stalham Hall south side [3683] 1948-03-26
Old Hall c1670.
Stiffkey Old Hall west front from NW [6309] 1984-07-12
Designed by Sir Nicholas Bacon, Keeper of the Great Seal under Elizabeth I. Building began in 1576. The original design was to have been a four-sided house enclosing a courtyard with four towers at the external and four at the internal corners. In the event, this proved too costly and three wings only were built, with six towers and a gatehouse. Of this, the west wing with three towers survives, together with part of the north wing, the gatehouse and two other towers which mark the internal and external north-eastern corners.
Stiffkey Old Hall from SW [6308] 1984-07-12
Stiffkey Old Hall from NW [3917] 1950-07-24
Stiffkey Old Hall gatehouse south side [6310] 1984-07-12
Dated 1604. In the pediment, a pig, stands for the name Bacon.
Stiffkey Old hall and NE tower ruin [6312] 1984-07-12
From garden terrace.
Stiffkey Old Hall courtyard inner tower [6306] 1984-07-12
NW inner tower.
Stiffkey Old Hall corner tower ruin [6307] 1984-07-12
NE inner tower, and church of St John Baptist behind.
Stiffkey Old Hall from churchyard [3916] 1950-07-24
Ruined NE outer tower from St John Baptist churchyard.
Stoke Ferry Hall 18c [7104] 1993-10-31
Opposite the west side of the church. Probably late 18c.
Tacolneston Old Hall farmhouse [2938] 1939-04-09
Described as the finest example in the county of half-timberwork. The front porch has three storeys, the top being a dormer. There is a somewhat corresponding arrangement at the back but no porch. The plaster work is pargetted in places. The gables are high pitched and crow-stepped, that on the north has six Tudor windows with hood moulds.
Tacolneston Old Hall farmhouse front [2939] 1939-04-09
Tacolneston Old Hall farmhouse front porch [2940] 1939-04-09
Tacolneston Old Hall farmhouse rear [2941] 1939-04-09
Tasburgh Rainthorpe Hall north front [5309] 1971-05-30
The home of Amy Robsart's half-sister, Anne Appleyard, who lived here with her two successive husbands before it was sold in 1579 and rebuilt by Thomas Baxter. By marrying Baxter, Anne Appleyard returned for the third time as a bride to Rainthorpe Hall. Baxter's arms, and those of former wife, Elizabeth Bludworth, are carved on the original porch. She died in 1587. An oak chimney-piece in the banqueting hall is dated 1586. The old heraldic glass is informative.
Tasburgh Rainthorpe Hall from SE [5310] 1971-05-30
Tasburgh Rainthorpe Hall from south terrace [5312] 1971-05-30
Tasburgh Rainthorpe Hall from NW [5311] 1971-05-30
Tasburgh 17c Old Hall [7596] 1998-10-18
Thornage Hall [4550] 1960-06-02
From Norman times until 1535 was a Grange of the Bishops of Norwich. Granted at the Dissolution to Sir William Butts, and later came to the Bacon family. The hall probably formed the great parlour and was part of a larger edifice.
Thornage Hall north side [6116] 1980-06-19
Thornage Hall south side door [6115] 1980-06-19
Thornage Hall dovecote [4551] 1960-06-02
Thorpe St Andrew Thorpe Old Hall from NE [4069] 1952-03-22
Standing on the site of a country residence of the Bishops of Norwich, the present Thorpe Old Hall was built in 1583. In the 20c was the residence of Colonel Cubitt.
Thorpe St Andrew Thorpe Old Hall from SW [4473] 1958-05-29
Thorpe St Andrew Thorpe Old Hall from SW [4474] 1958-05-29
Thorpe St Andrew Thorpe Old Hall 16c lintel [4475] 1958-05-29
Carved lintel to entrance door.
Thorpe St Andrew Thorpe Old Hall spandrel [4328] 1955-06-27
Wooden doorway arch dated 1583, with fragment of stone tracery above. In north boundary wall.
Thrigby Hall [7882] 2002-04-21
Modernised in 1876.
Thrigby wild life park summer house [7881] 2002-04-21
Built c1735, architect Thomas Ivory.
Trowse Newton Newton Hall ruin [4601] 1961-05-13
Ruins of Newton Hall, Whitlingham Lane. Country residence of the Priors of Norwich. The present remains indicate a rebuilding of about 1475. It was ruinated about 1860 by Robert Harvey, and about 1872 was acquired by the Colman family.
Trowse Newton Trowse Old Hall [5081] 1966-09-10
NE side of The Street, 17c with gothic revival alterations.
Waxham Hall from west [5841] 1977-08-29
Originally of the Inghams and Calthorpes, it was sold to Sir Thomas Wodehouse about the time he bought the Bacton Abbey site in 1546. Said to have been built originally in 1114, and then to have been some 14 miles from the sea. It is now within yards of the coast.
Waxham Hall gateway [1900] 1937-08-19
Waxham Hall boundary wall corner pinnacle [7919] 2003-02-25
Wilby Old Hall [4996] 1965-08-25
Early 17c. The presence of a moat on two sides suggests that this was not the first hall on the site. Owned in the 15c and 16c by the Cursons, but the Lovells of Harling were owning up to 1627 at least, one of whom was probably the builder. Robert Wilton, a Royalist, was living here in 1641.
Wolterton Hall south side [7637] 1999-06-06
Built 1727-41 by Horatio Walpole. Architect Thomas Ripley.
Wolterton Hall from NE [7670] 1999-08-01
Wolterton Hall from NW [7671] 1999-08-01
"Originally on the entrance side an open staircase seems to have led direct to the hall on the first floor. Now one enters on the ground floor." (Pevsner)
Wolterton Hall from SE [7638] 1999-06-06
Wolterton Hall entrance lodge [7640] 1999-06-06
Wolterton Hall stable block [7639] 1999-06-06
Woodbastwick Hall entrance front [1795] 1937-07-15
Seat of the Cator family, situated in extensive and park-like grounds about a mile from the church, it was much enlarged in the latter part of the 19c, but was destroyed by fire on 29 December 1882. Rebuilt in the following year.
Woodbastwick Hall entrance front [1794] 1937-07-15
Woodbastwick Hall garden front [1793] 1937-07-15
Woodbastwick Hall garden [1792] 1937-07-15

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett