Norwich at Night

Prince of Wales Rd Head Post Office lit [1627] 1937-05-13
Hardwick House lit for coronation celebrations.
Aylsham Rd Capitol night illumination [0318] 1934-11-26
Opened 1932.
Bethel St 67 coronation floodlit [1616] 1937-05-12
Bethel St view of Clock tower illuminated [2819] 1938-10-27
Bethel St view of Clock tower illuminated [2820] 1938-10-27
Wensum Bishop Bridge south side illuminated [6745] 1991-11-08
Cow Tower from east illuminated [6747] 1991-11-08
Castle Meadow 3 hotel Jubilee floodlit [0533] 1935-05-05
Bridge over inner ditch illuminated [2827] 1938-10-28
Floodlit during Civic Week, 1938.
Bridge over inner ditch illuminated [2828] 1938-10-28
Floodlit during Civic Week, 1938.
Keep south side Jubilee floodlit [0532] 1935-05-05
Chapel Field Gardens pagoda Jubilee lit [0535] 1935-05-06
St Ethelbert's Gate Jubilee floodlit [0529] 1935-05-05
Pull's Ferry Watergate E side illuminated [6746] 1991-11-08
Erpingham Gate Jubilee floodlit [0530] 1935-05-05
Spire vista floodlit from SW [5732] 1977-03-12
Spire vista floodlit from SW [5733] 1977-03-12
West front coronation floodlit [1611] 1937-05-12
Duke St 5 Electricity works floodlit [1634] 1937-05-13
Municipal offices until 1938. Electricity department.
Duke St 4 Electricity works floodlit [1633] 1937-05-13
Municipal offices until 1938. Electricity department.
Fyebridge St 17 Howard's fishshop floodlit [1630] 1937-05-13
For 1937 coronation celebrations.
Fyebridge St coronation floodlit [1629] 1937-05-13
Haymarket view south from White Lion St [0364] 1935-02-20
Haymarket Picture House night illumination [0316] 1934-11-20
The Haymarket Picture House (latterly known as the Gaumont Cinema) opened in 1911, was enlarged in 1921 (architect J.Owen Bond) and again in 1929. Demolished 1959.
Market Place The Walk view S from London St [0355] 1935-02-12
Market Place The Walk Lyons' and Samuel's [0320] 1934-11-26
Market Place west side coronation floodlit [1632] 1937-05-13
Municipal offices until 1938.
East front floodlit [0315] 1934-11-20
South side floodlit from Gaol Hill [0319] 1934-11-26
East front Jubilee floodlit [0533a] 1935-05-05
South side Jubilee floodlit [0534] 1935-05-05
Orford Place shelter Jubilee floodlit [0536] 1935-05-06
Prince of Wales Rd Regent Theatre at night [0323] 1934-11-26
Opened 1923.
St Andrew St Theatre de Luxe at night [0324] 1934-11-30
Opened 1910.
St Giles' tower floodlit from Cleveland Rd [5736] 1977-03-12
St Giles' St Upper view west [0365] 1935-02-20
St Peter's St facade illuminated [2821] 1938-10-27
The Guildhall for over 500 years was the seat of local government in Norwich. Until the Municipal Reform Act of 1835 this had been sufficient for the purpose, but from that time onwards the duties and responsibilities of the Corporation began to grow. Order was kept by the new police, who first appeared in public on lst March 1836. Ten years later powers were delegated to the Watch Committee to appoint a fire brigade of six men, whose business it was to attend all fires in Norwich with the Corporation engine; this came to be housed in the old felons' room of the Guildhall, requiring a doorway of suitable width to be constructed on the north side, leading to Guildhall Hill.
The flint-faced wing adjoining to the south of the Guildhall was built in 1861 a cost of £800 in place of the 18c brick porch and other outbuildings. Designed by Thomas Barry, the city architect, the new wing provided offices for the Town Clerk and Chief Constable, as well as a waiting room and two cells.
This accommodation did not long suffice, and in 1876 the Oxford Hotel on the west side of the market opposite the Guildhall was purchased. By degrees the entire block was absorbed, and as Corporation business grew still more, mansions in St Giles' St and elsewhere were adapted and a "tin hut" for the police was provided on the site of the old Butchery.
In the meantime, in 1898, the fire engine had been moved to new headquarters in Pottergate.
Although in that same year the council passed a resolution recognising that something more would have to be done, and plans were even drawn up for new offices on the east side of St Peter's St, time and again the decision to build was deferred. Nevertheless, bit-by-bit property was acquired on a site opposite to that originally proposed, between St Giles' and Bethel St, and plans were drawn up for a range of new buildings on this large site to accommodate all the Corporation's many services. The new fire station in Bethel St was completed in 1934, and four years later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth came to Norwich to open the City Hall.
At the time the design of the latter did not meet with unqualified approval - the comedian Norman Long likened it to a marmalade factory. (A year or so previously somebody else had compared the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon to a jam factory.) The clock tower was picked out for particular criticism partly because of its estimated cost and also because of fears that it would dwarf the Guildhall. Nevertheless, nowadays the building has come to be accepted as a worthy enhancement to the municipal centre of Norwich.
St Peter Mancroft floodlit from SW [5734] 1977-03-12
"A tower, N and S porches, nave, N and S aisles, N and S transepts, chancel aisles and treasury.....Entirely rebuilt and finished in 1455, it stretches between two thoroughfares, and therefore has arches on the S and N of tower and a passage under the E end so that processions around the building could be on consecrated ground.....The tower is very fine with rectangular buttresses, niched and canopied in all stages....The buttresses merge at the top with crocketted octagonal turrets....The west front has deeply recessed jambs to doorway with two rows of ornaments, one with shields in traceried panels and one with quatrefoils....A great W window with the emblems of St Peter and St Paul in the spandrils. The tower is crowned with a modern fleche after the style of that at East Harling. At the E end of the chancel are fine octagonal turrets, the drums pierced and traceried and with crocketted tops. The magnificent clerestory of 17 large three-light windows, has very narrow piers between them with little buttresses outside. The interior is most impressive. At the W end is a nobly moulded and lofty tower arch, with ringers gallery below it. The nave and chancel are continuous, and have the fine feature of the aisles stopping one bay short of the E end to admit windows N and S to light the altar. The loft arcades on clustered columns have canopied niches above the piers, supporting a short shaft capped with large angels from which spring the wall-posts. The lovely roof is similar to those at Ringland and Framlingham (Suff.) but is finer than any of them. It is a hammer-beam and arch-braced roof, but the hammer-beams are concealed by fine vaulting....The font was undoubtedly a Seven Sacrament one though the panels are completely obliterated.....It stands on two traceried steps and has a remarkable 15c canopy 5' 6" square like Trunch. The 10" carved posts at the corners are all that remain of the original canopy, the top being a poor restoration. Space will not permit me to describe the wonderful glass of the E window which has 42 panels (7 modern) but I think the most interesting panel is the Annunciation....Behind the Sanctuary is "The Treasury" so called, which is a three-storey structure, containing the Sacristy on the top floor, below the vestment chamber,...and below that a crypt.....The Sacristy is full of interesting things....not least the magnificent church plate." (H.Munro Cautley F.S.A. A.R.I.B.A. in Norfolk Churches, 1949).
Surrey St Norwich Union Surrey House lit [2822] 1938-10-27
Erected 1901, architect George J.Skipper.
Montcalm Rd view of Water tower illuminated [0526] 1935-05-05
Lit for silver Jubilee celebrations.
Quebec Rd view of Water tower illuminated [0527] 1935-05-05
Lit for silver Jubilee celebrations.
Thorpe Rd 11 Ailwyn Hall Jubilee floodlit [0528] 1935-05-05
Tombland 15 to 16 Samson Hercules floodlit [1628] 1937-05-13
For coronation.
Tombland 24 St Ethelbert's House floodlit [1631] 1937-05-13
St John's RC floodlit from Convent Rd [5735] 1977-03-12
The building is on the site of the old City Gaol, and was completed in 1910. In 1976 the church was elevated to the status of a cathedral upon the formation of the Roman Catholic See of East Anglia.

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett