Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Bank St

Barn Rd:
        From St Benedict's St / Grapes Hill / Dereham Rd to St Crispin's Rd (formerly Station Rd)
Heigham St, Westwick St

      West side
Barn Rd 55 to 59 [2924] 1939-04-08
Barn Rd 69 to 75 [2923] 1939-04-08
        East side
Barn Rd 4 to 8 [2424] 1938-05-23
Once lined with nineteenth-century brick and tiled terraced houses, Barn Rd is now almost unrecognisable since being more than doubled in width to become part of the Inner Link road. Perhaps the only familiar landmark from earlier days is Cushion's timber yard, although even this has changed and one misses the sight of those massive tree trunks and the overhead travelling crane.
On the opposite side of the road there still stand reduced and mutilated fragments of the city wall, which before the war were incorporated in the rear wall of Nos 4-8 Barn Road. This was a terrace of three-storeyed houses, their front wall constructed of knapped flints with brick dressings around the casement windows. The lower part of their rear wall which abutted upon St Benedict's Back Lane, was contrived out of the city wall, but arched recesses which originally opened towards the lane were unblocked and reversed to add a little more space to the back rooms of the houses. First built along the site of the city ditch between 1779 and 1789, the row was redeveloped in the mid-19c.
On the night of 27th April 1942, a heavy bomb fell near St Benedict's Gates, wrecking these houses and creating so much havoc in the vicinity that no sign of the lane could be seen among the debris. Later, when the site was cleared, the city wall was allowed to remain and subsequent excavation revealed among other things the foundations (long lost) of one of its bastions.
At the corner of Barn Rd and St Benedict's St stood a "free house" familiarly known as Harcourt's, but more correctly (from an inscribed stone built into its south wall) as The Omnibus. This name was derived from its being the stopping place on one of the routes of the Norwich Omnibus Company which ran a series of horse 'buses in the city before the introduction of the electric tramways at the commencement of the 20c.
Barn Rd wall fragment [2284] 1938-04-10
Fragment formerly embedded in terrace houses.
Barn Rd wall exposed by war view SW [3605] 1946-03-23
From the site of St Benedict's Back Lane.
Barn Rd wall exposed by war view NW [3606] 1946-03-23
From the site of St Benedict's Back Lane.
Barn Rd tower excavations [3698] 1948-08-06
The original flint facing of the tower revealed. Excavations 1948-53.
Barn Rd tower excavations threshold [3699] 1948-08-06
Threshold of tower entrance.
Barn Rd tower excavations outer ditch [3700] 1948-08-06
Barn Rd tower excavations wall to north [4208] 1953-08-30
Wall fragments north of tower.
Barn Rd wall fragment [4272] 1954-06-27
Fragment formerly embedded in terrace houses. The apex of the arched recess was originally 8-10 feet high but is now only 3 feet above ground level showing the extent to which this marshy ground has been built up.
Barn Rd wall from inside city view NW [4759] 1964-04-18
From the site of St Benedict's Back Lane.

Barrack St:
        From Whitefriars / St Crispin's Rd / Cowgate (formerly from Peacock St) to Gurney Rd / Kett's Hill / Bishop Bridge Rd
Silver Rd

      South side
Barrack St 25 [0928] 1936-05-06
Barrack St 25 to 33 [2515] 1938-07-05
Barrack St formerly continued across Cowgate, terminating at Peacock St. On its northern side stood St Paul's Church with its round Norman tower, gutted by incendiary bombs in the early morning of 27th June 1942; after standing as a roofless ruin it was demolished ten years later, despite pleas that the tower should remain. Of the square surrounding the churchyard, William White in his Norfolk Directory (1883) wrote:
"A rookery of disgraceful tenements in St Paul's has been demolished under the Artizans' Dwelling Act, and a colony of trim cottages erected in their place. This improvement cost the city £10,000."
Writing in Norwich Fifty Years Ago 30 years later, however, Mr F.T.Hibgame said:
"The most picturesque square in the whole city at that time [the 1860's] was St Paul's, which showed a complete square of singularly quaint half-timbered houses. It looked very much then as no doubt it did in mediaeval times; but alas the jerry builder came along, down came all the old houses, and in their place arose dozens of hideous red-brick cottages, all exactly like one another, without a single thing to redeem their innate ugliness."
Nos 23-33 Barrack St were contiguous to the south side of St Paul's Square and but a few yards away - perhaps the photograph will allow us to make our own judgment as the houses themselves were cleared away just before the Second World War.
Barrack St 27 to 33 [1448] 1936-09-22
Barrack St 67 to 77 [7705] 1999-10-25
Barrack St River Lane tower fragments [5377] 1974-08-18
Barrack St tower fragments by river [7497] 1997-09-23
Much of the tower on the north bank of the Wensum was destroyed when the river bank was restored.
Barrack St wall near river from inside city [7498] 1997-09-23
Between Jarrold's printing works and the river. Formerly River Lane.
Barrack St 105 Cellar House PH [1683] 1937-06-05
The Cellar House at No 105 was a late Georgian building with weavers' windows to light the top floor. Walter Wicks in referring to this tavern recalled the ritual of the Pockthorpe "Corporation", which was modelled on the Norwich pageant, with "Mayor", "Sheriffs", Officers" and snapdragon. Here at the Cellar House in 1838, amid great cheering, the newly elected "Mayor" promised in his inaugural address "to remove the duty off tea and sugar". After a state procession to the banquet held further along the street at the Dun Cow public house (used as their "guildhall") the "corporation" returned to the Cellar House to hold various sports in its gardens.
Barrack St 127 [1684] 1937-06-05
Barrack St south side Light Horseman Yard [0936] 1936-05-06
Barrack St 171 Marquis of Granby [2516] 1938-07-05
Marquis of Granby PH.
Barrack St 173 Horse Barracks PH [1682] 1937-06-05
        North side
St Paul's from north [1553] 1937-05-03
Apart from its architectural merits, this church was of particular interest in that originally it served not only the parish but also a hospital for poor strangers, vagrants, sick and impotent folk. Founded between 1118 and 1145 (over a century before its sister institution, the Great Hospital) it became known as Norman's Spital from a monk of that name who was one of its earliest masters. In 1571 it was occupied as the city bridewell, but this use ceased after 1583 when William Appleyard's old house in St Andrew's was converted to that purpose. Claude Messent recorded in 1934 that certain remains of old walls and re-used materials in later buildings could still be seen to the south of the square, but all was finally swept away by the construction of the Inner Link road in 1970.
St Paul's tower south side from Barrack St [0172] 1934-07-17
Dedicated jointly to St Paul the apostle and St Paul the first Christian hermit, the church was of ancient foundation; the lower part of its round tower possibly of Norman origin. It formerly possessed an octagonal belfry, but this was taken down in 1819 and replaced with a shallow coping of white brick and stone. It was also about this time that two of its three bells were sold, one to Postwick, the other to Witton, two churches only a short distance apart.
The remainder of the building, which consisted of a nave without clerestory, a north aisle and a rib-vaulted south porch with chamber above, was largely late 15c in style.
St Paul's from SE [3371] 1940-04-21
A small apsidal chancel had been added in 1870.
St Paul's interior view east [2251] 1938-04-02
The interior of the church had been renovated and repaired in 1921 and again in 1933, when the organ was overhauled. The building had not always been so well kept, however, as we learn from certain notes made by William Utten, the 18c public notary. In 1773 he recorded that the very path to the north door was overgrown with weeds, probably a matter of indifference to an indifferent parish, and that the drainage was from the graveyard to the church. Inside, the walls were green and filthy with pavements bad and rain coming into the vestry. Five years later he was still reporting that the pavements, doors, seats, walls and windows were all "wretched". The gallery was out of repair and its removal was recommended on safety grounds; the tower was "bad" and the churchyard walls falling down.
St Paul's interior view west [2252] 1938-04-02
St Paul's apsidal chancel [2253] 1938-04-02
Added 1870.
St Paul's 15c font [2254] 1938-04-02
The font was octagonal, with narrow traceried recesses in the stem and a quatrefoil on each side of the bowl.
St Paul's screen across tower arch [2255] 1938-04-02
Originally forming the western arm of the parclose screen.
St Paul's parclose screen [2256] 1938-04-02
East end of north aisle. Above the doorway, facing north, St George's Arms and a Cross Fleure.
St Paul's doorway to parclose screen [2257] 1938-04-02
Most of the furnishings were modern, but there was a fine parclose screen occupying the easternmost bay of the arcading, formerly a chapel of St Mary; the screen had perpendicular tracery with arms and initials in shields above the doorway. Another portion of this screen had been used to close the tower arch at the west end of the nave. The historian Francis Blomefield identified the initials C.L. on the screen as being those of Christopher Lestrange, who had contributed towards its cost, and E.D. as those of Elizabeth Drury, who had also contributed and who was buried in the chancel in 1445.
St Paul's north aisle [2258] 1938-04-02
The easternmost pier is pierced with a narrow arch.
St Paul's air raid damage from south [3755] 1948-09-10
Part of the site of this church was later absorbed into the Inner Link road, and the remainder was converted into a small public garden and children's play area after levelling and removal of any human remains.
Barrack St Bargate Court view NW [2428] 1938-05-29
Three-storied council flats, erected 1936.
Barrack St 74 to 80 17c cottage [3188] 1939-07-30
17c cottage incorporated in brewery premises.
Barrack St 82 to 86 former Griffin PH [0951] 1936-05-12
Barrack St 86 to 90 view NW [0927] 1936-05-06
Barrack St lies in the district of Pockthorpe, so called from the Latin pauca, little, and Old English thorp, village. Here was the Barregate, one of the 12 gates in the city's circumvallation. The gate was removed in 1792, one of the first to go, but the greater part of a wall tower remains a few yards to the north, with most of its stone vaulting intact.
In the 19c the name of Barrack St applied only to that part of the highway outside the city wall, extending from Silver Rd to Bishops Bridge Rd. West of this, the part within the city was known as St James's St. Although slum clearance had been active here for some years before 1931, when I first took up photography, evidence of an early spread of the population beyond the walls was to be seen in some of the houses that yet remained. Just beyond Steward and Patteson's Pockthorpe, Brewery for instance, Nos 82-84 and 88-90 were simple domestic buildings probably of Tudor origin; both groups has jettied upper storeys, and Nos 82-84 possessed an added second floor. In between these two groups, at No 86 stood the Griffin public house, one of several hostelries in the city with that sign.
Barrack St Steward and Patteson brewery SE [5378] 1974-08-24
Pockthorpe brewery.
Barrack St Steward and Patteson brewery SW [5379] 1974-08-24
Barrack St 112 former brewery offices [7747] 2000-04-23
Former offices of Steward and Patteson's brewery.
Barrack St Sportsman PH [2429] 1938-05-29
Barrack St Horse Barracks officers' wing [4881] 1965-03-13
Barrack St Horse Barracks soldiers' W wing [4883] 1965-03-13
First built 1791 on the site of Hassett House. Later known as the Cavalry barracks and since c1920 as Nelson barracks. Demolished in the 1950's.
Barrack St Horse Barracks stables quarters [4882] 1965-03-13
Soldiers' quarters with stables beneath.
Festival procession Queen Boadicea [3999] 1951-06-24
1951 Festival Procession carts, Sunday 24th June (the second of three days on which it was held).
Festival procession Roman soldiers [4000] 1951-06-24
Festival procession trade guilds Hell cart [4001] 1951-06-24
Mediaeval Trade Guilds "Hell Cart".
Festival procession Sir Thomas Erpingham [4002] 1951-06-24
Watches the building of his gateway to the Cathedral Close.
Festival procession Kett's rebellion [4003] 1951-06-24
1549 rebellion.
Festival procession Queen Elizabeth I [4004] 1951-06-24
Festival procession William Kemp dancers [4005] 1951-06-24
"Nine Days' Wonder" dancing from London to Norwich.
Festival procession Thomas Browne knighted [4006] 1951-06-24
King Charles II knights Dr Thomas Browne.
Festival procession John Crome and Borrow [4007] 1951-06-24
John Crome, George Borrow and Gypsies.
Festival procession snapdragon and whiffler [4008] 1951-06-24

Barrett Rd:
        From Martineau Lane to Hall Rd / Lakenham Rd
Mansfield Lane
Barrett Rd at Long John Hill [B790] 1933-10-08
Barrett Rd at Mansfield Lane [B791] 1933-10-08
Barrett Rd at Hall Rd [B767] 1933-09-10
Lakenham Rd beyond.

Bedford St:
        From Exchange St / Lobster Lane to St Andrew's Hill / London St
Swan Lane

      North side
Bedford St 5 The Granary [6462] 1987-05-25
Bedford St 13 Bedford Arms PH to 15 [5208] 1968-06-07
Bedford St 15 [1436] 1936-09-22
Before restoration.
Bedford St 15 restored [6492] 1988-04-12
Bedford St 15 restored 15c shop front [6463] 1987-05-25
Bedford St 15 to 21 Corn Exchange roof off [4761] 1964-05-09
Bedford St 17 side in Websdale's Court [7568] 1998-07-25
Bedford St 17 Websdale's Court [6624] 1990-07-12
Bedford St Websdale's Court wooden pump [4756] 1964-04-18
Bedford St Websdale's Court wooden pump [7567] 1998-07-25
Bedford St Old Post Office Yard east view N [1144] 1936-07-21
Bedford St Old Post Office Yard east view S [1147] 1936-07-21
Bedford St Old Post Office Yard west view S [1148] 1936-07-21
Bedford St 19 brick and flint pilaster [5425] 1975-06-12
Bedford St 19 stone corbel wooden lintel [5427] 1975-06-12
Bedford St 19 to 21 [1143] 1936-07-21
Bedford St 19 to 23 restored [5426] 1975-06-12
Bedford St 23 [5336] 1972-08-21
Bedford St 25 [1142] 1936-07-21
Bedford St 27 with weavers' window [4297] 1955-04-09
        South side
Bedford St view Corn Exchange east side [4757] 1964-04-18
Bedford St 8 [6426] 1986-09-20
Bedford St 14 Butchers store [7732] 2000-02-13
Victorian period drapery store.
Bedford St 16 [1313] 1936-08-23
Bedford St 18 [7576] 1998-09-06

Bell Avenue:
        Formerly from Farmers Avenue to Market Avenue
Bell Avenue Dr Darrell's cattle trough [6428] 1986-10-06
Now converted to flower display. Inscribed "Erected to the Memory of/ Harrington Wyndham Darrell/ Doctor of Medicine/ Norwich/ Died 9th January 1920". Dr Darrell was a great animal lover. The trough was originally placed next to his house at 12 All Saints Green.
Cattle Market excavation from Bell Avenue [6608] 1990-05-24
View south from entrance to castle bridge.

Belvoir St:
        From Earlham Rd to Dereham Rd

      East side
Belvoir St Wesleyan Reform Methodist church [6585] 1989-09-18
Opened April 1869.

Next street: Ber St

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List