Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Fyebridge Street

Gas Hill:
        From Riverside Rd / Bishopgate / Bishop Bridge Rd to St Leonard's Rd / Telegraph Lane
Gas Hill gas holder view SE [7628] 1999-05-09
Built c1880.
Gas Hill gas holder view SW [7625] 1999-05-09

        From St Augustine's St / Botolph St / Pitt St to Quakers Lane

      South side
Gildencroft 2 to 24 old cottages view east [0872] 1936-04-10
Gildencroft south side prior to restoration [4471] 1956-09-09
After removal of plaster facing.
Gildencroft south side front restored [4479] 1958-06-14
Gildencroft south side 2 to 12 rear [5055] 1966-09-03
Gildencroft Friends' meeting house [0294] 1934-09-23
Leading from the northern end of Pitt St is Gildencroft, with St Augustine's Church on the one hand and a row of Tudor cottages, restored by the City Council in 1956, on the other. When arguments for and against their renovation were being put forward it was claimed that they constituted one of the longest complete rows of that type and period in the country, exceeding as they did 200 feet in length. While renovation was being carried out, however, the first three cottages were taken down to improve the road junction at that point.
It was at the western end of the Gildencroft that in February 1699, the Society of Friends first opened their Meeting House. The burial ground that it adjoined had been purchased by them in 1670 for £72. The rectangular building was of plain but pleasing design, with its red brick walls supported externally by pilasters of the same material. The roof was covered by English plain tiles and was hipped, the central part flat and supported internally by two tall oak pillars, each hewn from a single tree. A double row of casement windows lit the interior, which had a gallery at either end.
The building, which was completely gutted by fire during an air raid in April 1942, was erected by the Quakers because their original house in Goat Lane had become too small. However, it was superseded as their principal place of worship in Norwich in 1826 when a new building was erected in Upper Goat Lane by the builder/architect J.T.Patience. Towards the end of the 19c the Gildencroft building was leased for a time to the Particular Baptists, but the Friends continued to use the burial ground for their interments, as indeed they still do. In 1958 they erected on the old site a much smaller single storey building that incorporates in its structure parts of the original meetinghouse.
For many years the only way by which wheeled traffic such as a funeral cortege could reach the Meeting House was by a narrow thoroughfare leading from St Martin's Lane, about 80 yards long and widened at the burial ground end to allow carriages to turn round. Since Chatham St has been extended to join up with Gildencroft it is reached much more conveniently by way of Sussex St.
Gildencroft Friends' meeting house modified [5196] 1968-05-23
Reconstructed in modified form 1958.
Gildencroft Friends' burial ground [6220] 1981-08-04

Gipsy Lane:
        From Earlham Rd
Bowthorpe Rd

      North side
Gipsy Lane Five Ways PH [2984] 1939-05-19

Golden Ball St:
        From Ber St / Timberhill to Farmers Avenue / Cattlemarket St / Rouen Rd (formerly Rising Sun Lane)
Castle Mall

      East side
Golden Ball St 1 to 9 [1647] 1937-05-23
Golden Ball St, in the early 1930s, was about as narrow as Westlegate then was. It was early in 1936 when the traffic problem was becoming acute that a scheme was approved for widening both streets and their connecting link, All Saints' St, providing an alternative route from the cattle market and St Stephen's into Ber St. By October 1938, the old Woolpack inn at No 9 Golden Ball Street was being demolished, along with neighbouring property - a new public house having already been built at the back. Because of delays caused by the outbreak of war, however, it was not until April 1940, that the last new kerbstones were laid.
Although the old Woolpack and its neighbour at No 7, a hairdresser's shop, were Tudor timber-framed buildings and probably formed a single property originally, they were not of sufficient importance to arouse protests when it was decided that they would have to be demolished.
Golden Ball St 7 to 9 Woolpack PH [1263] 1936-08-13
Golden Ball St 9 Woolpack PH rear [1785] 1937-07-13
Golden Ball St 9 Woolpack PH [2889] 1939-03-09
        West side
Golden Ball St 18 [1170] 1936-07-27
Golden Ball St 18 restored [7731] 2000-02-11
Golden Ball St cinema construction [7617] 1999-05-02
From Golden Ball St.
Golden Ball St cinema construction [7618] 1999-05-02

Golden Dog Lane:
        From Calvert St to Magdalen St

      North side
Golden Dog Lane 15a to 17 [2699] 1938-08-08
Golden Dog Lane 19 [2700] 1938-08-08
        South side
Golden Dog Lane 20 Old Town House to 22 [7564] 1998-07-19
Golden Dog Lane view east to Magdalen St [0883] 1936-04-12

Grapes Hill:
        From St Giles' St / Chapel Field Rd / Earlham Rd to Dereham Rd / Barn Rd / St Benedict's St
Pottergate, West Pottergate

      West side
Grapes Hill view north from St Giles' Gates [4808] 1964-08-11
Site of Inner Link road.
Grapes Hill 45 Paul Pry PH to 53 [5147] 1967-05-29
Site of Inner Link road.
Grapes Hill 65 [3031] 1939-05-29
        East side
Grapes Hill 4 to 6 [2079] 1938-02-18
Grapes Hill 8 [1329] 1936-08-26
Grapes Hill 10 to 12 [2078] 1938-02-18
Grapes Hill 12a to 30 [4804] 1964-08-05
It was in 1931 that Robert Atkinson F.R.I.B.A., referring to the City Wall, said "in almost every position are slum dwellings put up during the last 50 years. It would be a great adventure to clear them all out and open up the road following the wall which has always been a natural highway. Do this, and you will have a wonderful circulating boulevard all round the city and its cost would be comparatively nothing." It was not until after the Second World War that a start was made upon the construction of this "inner link" road, by which time the cost had risen considerably!
Grapes Hill 18 wall outside city view north [5291] 1970-02-08
Prior to demolition.
Grapes Hill 18 wall outside city view south [5292] 1970-02-08
Grapes Hill 20 wall outside city view south [5290] 1970-02-08
Grapes Hill upper wall outside city view NE [5299] 1970-03-19
Prior to demolition for Inner Link road.

Grove Rd:
        From Ipswich Rd / Newmarket Rd / St Stephen's Rd to Queen's Rd / All Saints Green
Grove Walk, Southwell Rd

      North side
Grove Rd 74 Surrey Inn [3021] 1939-05-29
Grove Rd is the site of another wartime casualty, the Surrey inn at No 74, a Steward and Patteson house. On A.W.Morant's map of Norwich (1873) the major part of All Saints' Green, to which Grove Road forms an extension, was marked as Upper Surrey Str, and it was from this, no doubt, that the public house took its name.
A newspaper report recording the destruction of the inn in April 1942, referred to its longstanding link with Norwich Hill. It was here in the extensive yards at the rear of the house that large numbers of cattle destined for the market were sheltered overnight before railway and motor transport took the herds off the roads.
My photograph, taken in May 1939, shows something else which has vanished in recent years - the horse-drawn milk float with its large churn and smaller container from which the milk would be ladled in pint and half-pint measures directly into the customer's jug.
Grove Rd 76 to 78 [3022] 1939-05-29

Grove Walk:
        From Grove Rd to Cecil Rd
Eleanor Rd

      East side
St Alban's Lakenham from Grove Walk [2476] 1938-06-18
Foundation stone laid 4th August 1932. Consecrated 20th May 1937. Architect Cecil Upcher.
St Alban's Lakenham interior view east [2499] 1938-06-25
St Alban's Lakenham interior view west [2503] 1938-06-25
St Alban's Lakenham sanctuary [2504] 1938-06-25
St Alban's Lakenham south aisle east end [2502] 1938-06-25
St Alban's Lakenham south aisle from north [2506] 1938-06-25
St Alban's Lakenham south aisle west end [2501] 1938-06-25
St Alban's Lakenham chancel roof [2505] 1938-06-25
Painted concrete.
St Alban's Lakenham 15c font Jacobean cover [2500] 1938-06-25
15c font and restored Jacobean Cover from Knettishall church Suffolk. It retains a portion of the old lock.

Guardian Rd:
        From Bowthorpe Rd / Farrow Rd to Dereham Rd / Sweet Briar Rd
Guardian Rd at Dereham Rd [B652] 1933-08-05
Sweet Briar Rd beyond. Work was commenced on the new road between Bracondale and Newmarket Rd towards the end of the 1920's, a scheme designed with a view to relieving unemployment. At about the same time work was also taking place on that section of the road between Guardian Rd and Sweet Briar Lane. This was commenced in 1930.

Gurney Rd:
        From Kett's Hill / Bishop Bridge Rd / Barrack St to Mousehold Lane / Salhouse Rd / Heartsease Lane
Spitalfields, Britannia Rd, Mousehold Avenue, Valley Drive
Mousehold general view [B180] 1931-00-00
The wild atmosphere of this most valuable open space, full of historic memories, has been carefully preserved. Conveyed by the Dean and Chapter of Norwich to Norwich Corporation in 1880 it was dedicated to the free use of the people by the Mayor John Gurney in 1886.
Mousehold sand hills [B176] 1931-00-00
Mousehold trees near Gilman Rd [B177] 1931-00-00
Mousehold view north from Gilman Rd [B178] 1931-00-00
Mousehold football pitch Gilman Rd [B179] 1931-00-00
Mousehold tea pavilion Gurney Rd [B181] 1931-00-00
Mousehold view SW near Gurney Rd [B576] 1933-06-07
Mousehold gravel path parallel to Gurney Rd [B577] 1933-06-07
Silver Jubilee Mousehold troop review 1 [0541] 1935-05-06
The official celebrations commenced on Monday 6th May with a review of troops by H.M.Lieutenant of Norfolk (Russell J.Colman J.P.) on the football field behind Britannia Barracks. Also present were the Lord Mayor (P.W.Jewson J.P.) and the Sheriff (Councillor W.E.Walker J.P.).
Silver Jubilee Mousehold troop review 2 [0542] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee Mousehold troop review 3 [0543] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee Mousehold troop review 4 [0544] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee Mousehold troop review 5 [0545] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee Mousehold troop review 6 [0546] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee Mousehold troop onlookers [0547] 1935-05-06
Every available vantage point was used by the interested spectators.
Silver Jubilee Mousehold Watts' Sea Cadets [0548] 1935-05-06
Lads of the Watts' Naval School leaving the parade ground. Chestnut Avenue, Mousehold.
Silver Jubilee St James' Hill view W [0549] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee St James' Hill bonfire unlit [0550] 1935-05-06
St James' Hill bonfire built by Norwich Scouts .
Silver Jubilee Gurney Rd spectators trams [0551] 1935-05-06
Spectators returning to the city after watching the Review of Troops.
Silver Jubilee St James' Hill bonfire 1 [0537] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee St James' Hill bonfire 2 [0538] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee St James' Hill bonfire 3 [0539] 1935-05-06
Silver Jubilee St James' Hill bonfire crowd [0540] 1935-05-06
The Beacon, built on St James' Hill near the Britannia Barracks by the Norwich Boy Scouts was lit at 10pm by the Lord Mayor as his last official act on Jubilee Day. This was one of a large chain of beacons throughout the County, and at the time of lighting it a rocket of the Scout colours - yellow green and red - was fired. The fire blazed to a great height and could be seen from many parts of the city. The event itself attracted a vast crowd of many thousands to the hill, and as the beacon got well alight it became bright enough for the smallest newspaper print to be read on practically any part of the hill where the fire cast its glare.
Coronation St James' Hill beacon before lit [1564] 1937-05-09
Built by the Norwich Boy Scouts from slum-clearance materials.
Coronation St James' Hill rockets [1612] 1937-05-12
At 9:30pm the Diamond Fireworks Company of Ipswich gave a display on St James' Hill which lasted for about an hour. Unfortunately, owing to rain penetrating the tent in which they had been stored, some of the set-pieces did not completely light up. Nevertheless the display was greatly appreciated. The beacon, which had been built by the Norwich Boy Scouts, was lit by the Acting Lord Mayor at 10:30pm as the concluding item of an eventful day.
Coronation St James' Hill beacon [1613] 1937-05-12
Mousehold bandstand before demolition [4642] 1961-09-02
Erected in Victorian times, it was decided in 1961 that the band stand would have to be demolished as Chapel Field Gardens was then said to be the only place in the city where people would attend to listen to a band. Rebuilt in 1992 from subscriptions raised by the Mousehold Heath Defenders.
Mousehold tea pavilion Gurney Rd [6478] 1987-07-01
Mousehold bandstand construction [6903] 1992-08-10

Hall Rd:
        From Queen's Rd to Ipswich Rd
Southwell Rd, Hospital Lane, Mansfield Lane, Barrett Rd, Lakenham Rd, Sandy Lane

      East side
Hall Rd Barrett Rd Tuckswood Inn [B516] 1933-04-08
New Cattle Market view from entrance [4682] 1962-06-23
Opened at Harford, 1st July 1960.
New Cattle Market clock tower and sale ring [4681] 1962-06-23
Dairy cattle sale ring.
New Cattle Market shops and offices [4680] 1962-06-23
New Cattle Market trucks at unloading bays [4679] 1962-06-23
New Cattle Market cattle pens [4678] 1962-06-23
Store and fat cattle sale rings, behind the cattle pens.

Hardy Rd:
        From Carrow Rd

      East side
Hardy Rd Railway Cottages 9 to 12 [6471] 1987-06-05
Built 1860 to house workers on the adjoining railway.
Hardy Rd Laurence Scott Gothic Works [7823] 2001-05-10
Hardy Rd Laurence Scott Gothic Works [7825] 2001-05-20
Opened 1898.
Wensum Trowse rail bridge with train [0605] 1935-08-05
The first through line to London via Brandon and Ely was opened on 30th July 1845. Owing to some delay in the completion of the single-line swing bridge, the first train started from Trowse. A later double-track structure was opened in 1905. The present swing bridge was built in connection with the electrification of the line from London in 1986-7. Its specially designed swing-deck is the only one in the world capable of carrying 25000 Volt overhead cables. It has a single track allowing trains to travel at 40 mph instead of the 15 mph restriction of the previous bridge. The first train (drawn by a diesel locomotive) crossed on 15th February 1987.
Wensum Trowse rail bridge construction [6360] 1986-05-08
Wensum Trowse rail bridge construction [6361] 1986-05-08
Wensum Trowse rail bridge construction [6430] 1987-02-07
Wensum Trowse rail bridge construction [6431] 1987-02-07
Wensum Trowse old rail bridge demolition [6433] 1987-02-15
Wensum Trowse old rail bridge demolition [6434] 1987-02-15
Wensum Trowse new rail bridge [6435] 1987-02-15

Hardley Cross:
Yare river Hardley Cross [1765] 1937-07-11
Hardley Cross: at the junction of the river Chet with the Yare. It marks the limit of the jurisdiction of the City of Norwich. Probably settled in the 15c as a result of a dispute between the City and Great Yarmouth. Shaft may date from 1676 when it was restored.
Other Norwich boundary crosses (not photographed) were at:
Trowse Bridge Cross: stated to be "in ye myddes of Trous brigge".
Carrow Cross: at the junction of Bracondale and King St "where Carrow stocks once stood".
Malkeny's or Our Lady's Cross: probably between Hall Rd and Grove Rd.
Needham Cross: "right south of the towne agenst Nedeham Houses" (Nedeham Gates were St Stephen's Gates).
Nether Erlam Cross.
Catton Cross: "in the highway towards Catton".
Sprowston or Magdalen Cross: on the north of the hospital of St Mary Magdalen (the Lazar house).
Thorpe Wood Cross: "in a certain way below a wood called Thorpe Wode which leads from Norwich to Possewyk over the hill called 'Leonardes Hyll'".

Harvey Lane:
        From Thorpe Rd to Plumstead Rd / Heartsease Lane
Thorpe St Andrew

      West side
Harvey Lane at Thorpe Rd [B774] 1933-09-10
Because of the railway, river and extensive industrial development, the south-eastern section had to take a devious route via Thorpe Rd, Carrow Rd, King St and Bracondale.
Woodrow Pilling Park Harvey Lane entrance [B313] 1932-06-11
Presented by Mrs Pilling in memory of her father, Jeremiah Woodrow, a freeman of the City. Opened by H.R.H.Princess Mary 29th June 1929.
Harvey Lane 19 Morrison Lodge PH [7949] 2004-06-08
Harvey Lane Heartsease surface drainage [4225] 1953-10-25
As it was seen that all the land available in the city for house-building would be utilised within a few years, and area to the north-east (including the old Mousehold Aerodrome site) was in 1950 brought within the city boundary. Before houses could be erected, arrangements for linking the site with the sewerage system had to be made, and in 1953 tunnelling began in Harvey Lane for the surface drainage. Cranes in Harvey Lane were at the heads of shafts connecting with the tunnel, and were used in the removal of earth, and the lowering of the pre-cast concrete segments used in the formation of the drain walls.
        East side
Harvey Lane serpentine wall from Eden Close [6289] 1984-04-24
"Crinkle-crankle" wall, formerly the boundary of Thorpe Lodge.
Civic visit Lord Mayor's coach Harvey Lane [4254] 1954-06-06
Civic visit to Cathedral 6th June 1954:
Coach arriving to collect Lord Mayor Councillor H.Allen.
Civic visit Lord Mayor boarding coach [4255] 1954-06-06
Civic visit Lord Mayor returning home [4258] 1954-06-06
Hot air balloon [6051] 1979-09-15
Floating over the Harvey Lane area.
Hot air balloon [6052] 1979-09-15
Goodyear airship Europa [6174] 1981-05-14
Floating over the Harvey Lane area.
Goodyear airship Europa [6175] 1981-05-14

Next street: Haymarket

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List