Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: St Swithin's Alley

Salhouse Rd:
        From Heartsease Lane / Gurney Rd / Mousehold Lane towards Salhouse
Salhouse Rd from Heartsease airfield view N [4230] 1953-10-25

Sandy Lane:
        From Hall Rd to Mansfield Lane
Cooper Lane
Sandy Lane Old Lakenham church farmhouse [1706] 1937-06-10
St John and All Saints Lakenham from NE [1696] 1937-06-07
St John the Baptist and All Saints. Mainly Perpendicular.
St John and All Saints Lakenham south aisle [2459] 1938-06-15
The arcade comprises iron pillars cased with wood.
St John and All Saints Lakenham interior E [2468] 1938-06-18
The roofs are modern.
St John and All Saints Lakenham interior NE [2475] 1938-06-18
St John and All Saints Lakenham interior W [2469] 1938-06-18
St John and All Saints Lakenham 16c font E [2473] 1938-06-18
Carved with Emblems of the Passion, the Evangelists etc.
St John and All Saints Lakenham 16c font SW [2474] 1938-06-18
St John and All Saints Lakenham James Crowe [2470] 1938-06-18
James Crowe of Tuckswood House Old Lakenham, Mayor of Norwich 1774 and 1797, died 1807, aged 56.
St John and All Saints Lakenham piscina [2472] 1938-06-18
Trefoil headed piscina, south-east corner of chancel.

Scoles Green:
        Formerly from Stepping Lane to Rising Sun Lane and Market Lane
Scoles Green 7 [1784] 1937-07-13
Leading off King St, Stepping Lane, which now ends at Rouen Rd formerly led to Scoles Green. It was a small triangular-shaped plain of dilapidated Georgian houses noted in the Norwich Plan - 1945 as of minor interest but of good design. In one of them the artist Robert Ladbrooke died on 11th October 1842. The illustration shows one of them with a plain facade, the central doorway of modest proportions, and with two of the first floor windows blocked. An additional storey, apparently added at some later date, and unlit by windows on this side, gave the house a rather disproportionate appearance.
According to "Jonathan Mardle" (Eric Fowler), writing in 1968 about this area, which was soon to be dominated by Prospect House, the new offices of Eastern Counties Newspapers, "Scoles Green was originally Scholars' Green, the playground of a school that was kept before the Reformation beside the church of St Martin in Balliva". He was here quoting the historian Francis Blomefield, but on the other hand the historian John Kirkpatrick wrote: "Then another lane…turns of to the S.E. past the South side of the Churchyard of St Martin's of the Bale into a void ground called Scolds Green... One Willm Scoles had Tenements here Anno 9 Edw. 4 from whom probably it took its Name".

Silver Rd:
        From Barrack St to Sprowston Rd
Bull Close Rd, Mousehold Avenue

      East side
St Mary Magdalene Pockthorpe from Silver Rd [4702] 1962-08-10
Built 1902-3, architect A.J.Lacey.
Silver Rd former depot tracks [4382] 1955-09-19
On 19th April 1925 the Aylsham Rd track was abandoned, the first of a fleet of tramway motor buses being substituted on amended routes. City Rd services withdrawn October 1933. Trowse services withdrawn February 1934. The last service to operate was between Newmarket Rd and Cavalry Barracks Riverside Rd the final car leaving Orford Place 11:10pm on 10th December 1935. In 1955 the only places where track remained were at the former tramway depot Silver Rd and in Thorpe Station yard.

Somerleyton St:
        From Unthank Rd to Suffolk St
Silver Jubilee King George V copy of photo [0574] 1935-05-10
Silver Jubilee Queen Mary copy of photo [0573] 1935-05-10
Coronation Somerleyton St 8 greenhouse flag [1638] 1937-05-18
The photographer's parents' back garden. 1937 coronation decorations.
Coronation King George VI copy of photo [1641] 1937-05-18
Coronation Queen Elizabeth copy of photo [1642] 1937-05-18
Somerleyton St 8 garden heavy snow E side [2859] 1938-12-22
The photographer's parents' back garden.
Somerleyton St 8 garden heavy snow view N [2860] 1938-12-22
Somerleyton St N side rear air raid damage [3596] 1942-07-06
Some of the houses wrecked by the air raid of 29th April 1942.
Somerleyton St air raid damage cleared area [3620] 1946-04-09
Following clearance of ruined houses.

South Park Avenue:
        From Colman Rd to Bluebell Rd
      passing Pettus Rd (
Hurd Rd)

      North side
Eaton Park fountains near entrance [B058] 1931-00-00
Eaton Park lakes lavender and colonnade [B059] 1931-00-00
Eaton Park yacht pond towards water gate [B086] 1931-00-00
Eaton Park band playing in bandstand [B290] 1932-05-16
Whitsun. Military band concert.
Eaton Park rose gardens [B414] 1932-08-03
Eaton Park main entrance South Park Avenue [B562] 1933-05-14
Formally opened by H.R.H.Edward Prince of Wales 30th May 1928.
Eaton Park rose gardens near main entrance [B563] 1933-05-14
Surrounding the fountain.
Eaton Park rose gardens [B564] 1933-05-14
Surrounding the fountain.
Eaton Park yacht pond from water gate [B567] 1933-05-18
Eaton Park lily pond and pavilion [0179] 1934-08-07
Eaton Park lily pond and pavilion [0180] 1934-08-07

Southwell Rd:
        From Hall Rd to Grove Rd
Southwell Rd bridge over Brazengate [7831] 2001-06-26
Site of former railway line from Victoria station to junction with main London line.

        From Gurney Rd to Kett's Hill
Spitalfields 1 Castle Tavern [6429] 1986-11-27

Sprowston Rd:
        From Magdalen Rd to Mousehold Lane and towards Sprowston
Silver Rd, Wall Rd

      South side
Sprowston Rd Lazar House west side [0291] 1934-09-15
The Lazar House on Sprowston Rd, or the Magdalen Chapel as it is sometimes known, was founded before 1119 by Bishop Herbert de Losinga, and the Norman doorways on the south and west are most probably his work. It was intended for a Master, Brethren and Sisters who were lepers and the late Dr Bensley considered that the actual Chapel, dedicated to St Mary Magdalen, was contained in a small portion only of the present building, at the east end, and the hospital part, or wards, occupied the main western portion, males and females being separated by a screen.
In Blomefield's time it appears that some ruins stood to the south of this building, which are thought may have originally been the brewhouse, kitchen, storehouses and Master's house, but no foundations were discovered during excavations made at the beginning of the 20c.
Little is known of its history. In 1506 it was united for a time with the St Giles' or Great Hospital in Bishopgate, but the union did not prove satisfactory and was soon broken. In 1548 it was granted by Edward VI to Sir Robert Southwell and John Corbett, and in 1668 it was an Almshouse for poor widows. By the middle of the 18c part of it was being used as a barn. At the beginning of the 20c Walter Rye rescued it from demolition and sold it in 1908 to Sir Eustace Gurney who restored it - as much as possible of the old fabric being left undisturbed. In 1921 he presented it to the City for use as a branch library, and as such it was opened two years later.
"This is certainly not one of the largest monastic remains in Norwich, but in many respects one of its most interesting, its date of erection - 1119 - makes it one of the oldest building in Norwich and the two Norman doorways, one on the west side, and the other on the south form two good specimens of that early style of architecture. Some authorities have stated that these doorways are not in their original positions, but there is no structural of documentary evidence that they have been re-erected from another building or any part of the same building. This is an excellent example of how a mediaeval building can be restored and put to a really legitimate modern use without in any way interfering with the original character of the structure." From "The Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk" by Claude Messent, 1934.
Sprowston Rd Lazar House south side [1740] 1937-07-03
Sprowston Rd Lazar House S Norman doorway [1741] 1937-07-03
Sprowston Rd Lazar House W Norman doorway [1742] 1937-07-03
Sprowston Rd St George's RC church [6458] 1987-05-19
Built 1962-63, architect J.Sebastian Comper.
Sprowston Rd Post Mill from Mousehold [B175] 1931-00-00
Beyond Pockthorpe we come to Sprowston, where the name Windmill Rd still indicates the site of Harrison's post mill, an example of the earliest kind of windmill known in England; there is an illustration of one on the memorial brass to Adam de Walsokne, who died in 1349, and his wife Margaret in St Margaret's Church, King's Lynn. In this type the box-like body revolves around the centre post so that the sails always face the wind. The supporting structure was often enclosed by a brick roundhouse for storing the grain, as it was here.
Sprowston mill was built about 1730. It was destroyed by fire on 23rd March 1933, the day before it was due to be handed over to the Norfolk Archaeological Trust. A working model of it, made by Mr H.O.Clarke of Norwich, used to be on display at the Science Museum, South Kensington.
For many years this mill at Sprowston had been known as Crome's mill, from a painting by that artist entitled "A Windmill on Mousehold Heath near Norwich". In a paper in Norfolk Archaeology in 1966 this identification was disputed by Dr M.Rajnai, who listed various titles over which Crome's painting had appeared since 1844; he particularly referred to an old label on the back of the frame, to which attention had recently been drawn, which said "Trowse Mill/near Norwich by/Old Crome". Dr Rajnai also compared the painting with a pencil drawing of apparently the same subject by George Vincent, in which the hill crowned by a post mill, the winding path, the sandpit and signpost are all found in the same relationships to each other as in Crome's painting. He concluded that the similarities were so striking that there could be no reasonable doubt that the scene was identical in both works. To clinch the matter, although the signpost in Crome's painting appeared to bear no inscription, Vincent's drawing shows it marked "To Crown Point". Reference to Faden's Topographical Map of Norfolk dated 1797 confirmed that there was indeed a windmill close to Crown Point at Trowse at that time.
That there should have been some confusion over the true location of Crome's mill is perhaps not to be wondered at, for old maps and "prospects" show the city to have been dotted around by both tower and post mills. These included at least two wood sawmills worked by wind, of which one stood near another mill at the top of Gas Hill. While only one is shown in this position on Corbridge's Map of Norfolk, published in 1750, two are shown on Faden's map in 1797, and both survived to be marked on the Ordnance Survey's large-scale town plans surveyed in the 1880s.
Sprowston Rd Post Mill from Windmill Rd [B193] 1931-00-00
Sprowston Rd Post Mill from allotments [B194] 1931-00-00
Sprowston Rd Post Mill burnt central post [B506] 1933-03-26
Sprowston Rd Post Mill after fire [B507] 1933-03-26
        North side
Sprowston Rd 140 Prince of Denmark PH [6671] 1991-05-10
Sprowston Rd 140 Prince of Denmark PH sign [6670] 1991-04-29
Sculpted in concrete then coloured. The work of Moray Smith, 1939.
Denmark Opening Derelict tramcar chassis [4565] 1960-07-23
The end of the road.

Station Rd:
        From Westwick St / Barn Rd / Heigham St to Oak St
      Renamed as part of
Barn Rd and St Crispin's Rd
Coronation Station Rd 13 to 15 [1567] 1937-05-09
1937 coronation decorations. See also St Crispin's Rd.

Stepping Lane:
        From King St / Mountergate (formerly to Scoles Green)

      South side
Stepping Lane 1 to 3 south side view east [3246] 1939-08-13

Stoke Rd:
        From Mansfield Lane towards Caistor St Edmund
Stoke Rd Old Lakenham Old Mill House [7817] 2001-04-27
Ancillary building.
Yare Stoke Rd Bridge mill tributary [7806] 2001-03-06
Road leading to Lakenham water mill.
Lakenham rail bridge view east with train [B639] 1933-07-22
Train heading for Ely.

Suffolk St:
        From Somerleyton St to Union St
Suffolk St 78 Alberic Barbiera rambler rose [1043] 1936-06-21
Just over 20 years old, the rose extended 15 yards in length.

Surrey St:
        From St Stephen's St to Queen's Rd
All Saints Green

      West side
Surrey St 1 with weavers' window [1048] 1936-06-21
Side of 9 St Stephen's St.
On the southern corner of St Stephen's St and Surrey St was a four-storeyed building of red brick, some two and a half centuries old, occupied before the Second World War by Gerald Spalding's stationer's shop and post office. A prominent stringcourse of moulded brick divided the first and second floors, but the chief feature was the long range of weavers' or thoroughlight windows, which lit the top floor on the Surrey St side. This lost its glass and was boarded up in 1942, but the building escaped the serious damage suffered by its neighbours. The whole building was, however, taken down some years later when a start was made on widening St Stephen's St.
For centuries weaving was one of the city's staple industries. In the 14c artisans from Bruges and Ghent began to settle in the city because, it is said, of the initiative of Philippa, Queen of Edward III. Towards the close of the 16c the industry was considerably augmented by a "great wave" of Flemings seeking refuge from the religious persecution of the Duke of Alva, followed a century later by French Protestants escaping from the consequences of the revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
From this time onwards the production of silk fabrics was greatly increased. A comprehensive account of the Norfolk and Norwich silk industry communicated by Walter Rudd will be found in Norfolk Archaeology Vol.21. Rudd gives a vivid description of its flourishing state during the 18c, followed by an account of its general decline when from 1812 yarns spun by power looms began coming from the Yorkshire mills. Nevertheless, despite the fact that about 1830 the East India Company ceased to export Norwich camlets to the east, sufficient business remained to inspire the building in 1836 of the great yarn factory in St James's (now Jarrold's printing works) and the following year of the Albion Mills in King St (now flats).
Unfortunately the optimism, expressed by these building proved unfounded, due at least in part to the city's considerable distance from any coalfields. Nevertheless, in 1901 some 60 men and 643 women were still being described as silk weavers, although it was then feared that in the process of time the old textile industry would disappear from Norwich completely. In fact the large silk mills of Courtaulds (formerly Francis Hinde and Hardy) were demolished only in February 1983, having closed down two years previously.
For reminders of this once-great Norwich industry one must now visit the Bridewell museum to see examples of the old looms, with specimens of their products, or inspect the main doors of the City Hall, where a bronze plaque, one of 18 by James Woodford ARA, depicts a girl operating a power loom.
Surrey St 3 [1049] 1936-06-21
Surrey St 3 Georgian doorway [0425] 1935-03-28
Surrey St 7 Bignold House [1050] 1936-06-21
Built 1764 for a rich Norwich brewer by architect Robert Mylne.
Surrey St 7 Bignold House lamp standard [7751] 2000-05-06
One of four lamp standards.
Surrey St 11 Stanley House [1051] 1936-06-21
Surrey St 11 Georgian doorway [0483] 1935-04-20
Surrey St bus station booking office [7695] 1999-10-13
Opened 1936.
Surrey St bus station NW corner [7688] 1999-09-26
Surrey St bus station NW side [7687] 1999-09-26
Surrey St 21 to 23 [1034] 1936-06-16
Surrey St 25 to 27 Georgian portico [2187] 1938-03-21
Further up Surrey St, on the west side at the corner of All Saints Green, stands a terrace of houses (Nos 29-35) four storeys high, built by the Norwich architect Thomas Ivory in 1761. The adjoining pair, Nos 25-27 (demolished in 1963), while similar to and perfectly harmonising with those adjoining, had a number of minor differences which led Stanley Wearing to believe that Ivory's son William took some share in their execution. One of the most obvious of these differences was to be seen by comparing the porticos, that of 25-27 being much more ornate than those of the earlier houses.
On 30th July 1940, at about 6am a single enemy raider dropped a stick of bombs, one of which exploded outside these houses, blowing the portico into fragments. The pieces were carefully gathered up, leading to the discovery of a number of pencilled inscriptions, one of which said "James Rump, carpenter and joiner...Norwich, made this portico in the year 1821". There were other, earlier inscriptions which Mr Wearing, in a letter to the Press, thought could be explained only by some portions having been adopted from an earlier structure, but he would certainly have put the date of the portico as earlier than 1821. The pieces, stored in a builder's yard pending reconstruction after the war, were unfortunately destroyed by fire during a later raid on the city.
Surrey St 25 to 35 [0588] 1935-05-19
Architect Thomas Ivory. 29 to 35 built c1761; 25 and 27 built c1773, according to a date on one of the beams in the attic. Its portico however was dated 1821. Some years ago when the portico to 29 and 31 was being repaired the words "Robert Forstor, March 1762" were found on a piece of the woodwork.
Surrey St 29 to 31 Georgian portico [2117] 1938-03-06
Surrey St 47 to 79 Carlton Terrace [6461] 1987-05-19
Built 1881.
        East side
Surrey St 2 thatched Boar's Head Inn [0130] 1934-06-17
Much could be written with regard to the Boar's Head inn at the corner of Surrey St and St Stephen's. Sufficient here to refer to the historian Francis Blomefield, who said that "this was the ancient house where the Brownes lived, as Richard Browne, Alderman in 1456", adding that the Brownes' arms impaling those of the grocers' and mercers' companies were to be seen in the windows there. Richard was a man of considerable note, being Sheriff in 1449, Mayor in 1454 and burgess in Parliament in 1459. He died in 1461, his wife three years later, and both were buried in St Crouch's [Crowche's] church, the site of which lies close to the lower end of Exchange St.
In the 17c and 18c the property was known as the Greyhound, the sign apparently being changed to that of the Boar's Head when Mr John Norgate acquired the property about the beginning of the 19c. It was then that the arms of the Norgates of Cawston were inserted; their crest is a demi-boar rampant. Until about 1870 the portion of the building that faced St Stephen's was a grocery store. Acquired by Diver and Son Ltd early in the 20c, the old inn was carefully restored by them on the reconstruction of the company in 1925, but it met a fiery end in April 1942. A fine groined arch in the cellar was thought to have exhibited traces of 11c work. See also 5 to 7 St Stephen's St.
Surrey St 2 Boar's Head Inn from yard [1047] 1936-06-21
Surrey St 2 rear old hall air raid damage [3991] 1951-05-17
Remains of old hall at rear of Boar's Head Inn, gutted by fire in 1942. Here in 1854 the first music hall in Norwich was started known as "The Shades".
Surrey St 2 rear old hall air raid damage [3992] 1951-05-17
Remains of old hall at rear of Boar's Head Inn.
Surrey St Norwich Union Surrey House lit [2822] 1938-10-27
Erected 1901, architect George J.Skipper.
Surrey St Norwich Union Surrey House [4372] 1955-09-01
Surrey St Norwich Union William Talbot [7359] 1996-07-07
William Talbot, Bishop of Oxford and founder of the Amicable Society.
Surrey St Norwich Union Samuel Bignold [7360] 1996-07-07
Sir Samuel Bignold, Secretary of the N.U.Fire Office 1854-57.
Surrey St 10 Water department [1435] 1936-09-22
Municipal offices until 1938. Water department.
Surrey St Waterworks Yard Georgian house [1052] 1936-06-21
North-west side of yard.
Surrey St 18 to 20 [1027] 1936-06-14
Surrey St Norwich Union from bus station [4711] 1962-09-07
Built 1959-62, architects Sir Thomas P.Bennett and son.
Surrey St Norwich Union Sentinel House [7741] 2000-03-19
Queen's Rd Norwich Union office [7719] 1999-11-28
Sentinel House.
Surrey St Norwich Union Gaea bronze [7376] 1996-07-27
Gaea, Earth Mother, sculptor Colin Miller 1990.
Surrey St 30 to 34 [1028] 1936-06-14
Surrey St 32 Regency Georgian doorway [0468] 1935-04-19
Surrey St Norfolk Tower from south [7591] 1998-10-02
Built 1971, architects Furze and Haydon.
Surrey St Chapel Loke Surrey chapel [6023] 1979-07-26
Ebenezer Baptist Chapel. Built 1854. Demolished 1986.
Surrey St house by Notre Dame High School [6544] 1989-04-27
Surrey St Notre Dame School part [6576] 1989-07-21
Former Surrey Rd Boys school. Site of abandoned proposed Inner Link road extension.

Sussex St:
        From St Augustine's St to Oak St

      North side
Sussex St 3 to 11 [2798] 1938-09-10
Sussex St 15 to 21 [2046] 1937-10-11
Sussex St 21 Regency Georgian doorway [6545] 1989-06-12
Sussex St 27a late Georgian doorway [6546] 1989-06-12
Sussex St 29 to 31 [2045] 1937-10-11
Sussex St 29a late Georgian doorway [6547] 1989-06-12
Sussex St Ebenezer Terrace 14 to 21 [4492] 1959-05-31
Situated behind 35 Sussex Rd and westwards, backing onto St Martin at Oak Wall Lane.
        South side
Sussex St 12 to 22 [6553] 1989-06-23
Sussex St 22 Regency Georgian doorway [6548] 1989-06-12

Swan Lane:
        From London St to Bedford St
Swan Lane 3 and left Dipple's swan clock [7733] 2000-02-20

Sweet Briar Rd:
        From Dereham Rd / Guardian Rd to Boundary Rd / Drayton Rd
Wensum Sweet Briar Rd Bridge east side [B618] 1933-07-09
Opened 21st October 1932. No previous bridge occupied this site. The present bridge and roadway (opened without ceremony) were built as part of the ring road which girdles much of the city. This was a scheme commenced soon after the Great War to employ surplus labour and to help relieve traffic congestion within the city. The bridge is of concrete, having a double span of some 75 feet, the width between the parapets about 40 feet.
Wensum Sweet Briar footbridge view upstream [7429] 1997-02-09
Built to give access from the riverside path on the North side of the Wensum to Sycamore Crescent Wood Nature Reserve. Officially opened 5th May 1997 by Julian Swainson, City Planning Committee Chairman.
Sweet Briar Rd at Hellesdon Hall Rd [B653] 1933-08-05
Sweet Briar Rd at Drayton Rd [B654] 1933-08-05
Boundary Rd beyond.

Synagogue St:
        Off Mountergate
Synagogue St 15 to 25 [2164] 1938-03-14

Next street: Telegraph Lane

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List