Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Bishopgate

Botolph St:
        Formerly from Magdalen St to Pitt St / Gildencroft / St Augustine's St
Calvert St, St George's St

      East side
Botolph St 23 to 31 [5040] 1966-05-01
Botolph St derived its name from the former church of St Buttolph the Abbot, of which the historian Francis Blomefield said it "stood more south in Magdalen St, not far north of Stump-cross; its churchyard abutted east on the said street, and west on St Buttolph's, commonly called Buttle-street; and is now the White-horse-yard". He also added "1505, Will Stephens; he died rector [of St Botolph's church] and was the last the church had; for in 1544 it was made a private property by Henry VIII, who granted it to Will. Godwin; and in 1548, the church being quite demolished, the parish was united in form to St Saviour's, with which it now continues".
From Anglia Square it is difficult now without the aid of maps to pin-point exactly the site of various buildings which formerly lined Botolph St. The street itself, from Stump Cross to the northern end of St George's, was finally closed to traffic at the end of March 1969, by which time most of the demolition to create the square had taken place.
Botolph St Chapel Yard [0887] 1936-04-12
Botolph St 53 [1447] 1936-09-22
Botolph St 53 Georgian doorway [0407] 1935-03-24
Botolph St 55 Georgian doorway [0406] 1935-03-24
Botolph St 57 [2550] 1938-07-17
Botolph St 71 to 73 former Britannia PH [2545] 1938-07-13
        West side
Botolph St Surrey Chapel [6681] 1991-05-20
Independent Evangelical. Adapted and extended in 1985 from the local HQ of the National Union of Footwear and Allied Trades.
Botolph St Surrey Chapel [7391] 1996-09-01
Botolph St Surrey Chapel [6525] 1988-08-29
Botolph St 12 to 14 [1058] 1936-06-27
Botolph St next 20 Tudor style doorway [1059] 1936-06-27
Botolph St 30 to 34 Chamberlin's factory [5142] 1967-05-16
Perhaps chief among the businesses affected by the demise of Botolph St when Anglia Square was built, was that of Roberts the Printers at Nos 30-34. First established on a different site in 1902, the firm had since 1949 been occupying what Dr Nikolaus Pevsner described as "the most interesting factory building in Norwich" built in 1903 as a clothing factory for Chamberlins. "There was", he added, "little in England, and indeed in Europe, quite so functional and unfussy then. Yet it is by no means purely utilitarian."
Its architect was A.F.Scott, the 19c founder of the firm bearing his name. He was also responsible for a more prominent building in the city, Buntings the drapers (now Marks and Spencers) at the corner of St Stephen's and Rampant Horse St.
Botolph St 38 King's Arms PH [0818] 1936-03-19
A much older building lost in the Anglia Square development was the King's Arms public house at No 38, at the eastern corner of Calvert St. On its gable end in large iron characters were the letters "I" and "C" and the date "1646", now preserved in one of the Norwich museums. Built of brick with a narrow stringcourse marking the first floor level, the house had pantiles at the front, with old English plain tiles covering the roof of the Calvert St wing.
Botolph St 38 King's Arms PH [4446] 1956-06-13
Botolph St 38 iron wall anchors I C 1646 [4450] 1956-07-08
Botolph St 40 to 42 Duke of Sussex PH [2675] 1938-08-03
Botolph St 40 Tudor doorway [1064] 1936-06-28
16c. doorway next to 40.
Botolph St 44 to 46 [2680] 1938-08-03
Botolph St 52 [2681] 1938-08-03
Botolph St 58 rear [5132] 1967-04-01
Botolph St 58 to 62 Shuttles PH Pitt St 81 [5133] 1967-04-01
Botolph St to left. Pitt St to right.
Botolph St 60 [0897] 1936-04-16

Boundary Rd:
        From Aylsham Rd to Drayton Rd / Sweet Briar Rd
Boundary Rd at Aylsham Rd [B655] 1933-08-05
Until the construction of Chartwell Rd, linking Mile Cross Lane, in 1962, the signposted route of the ring road was by Oak Lane, George Hill and School Lane. An alternative and less circuitous route was by Woodcock Rd and Wall Rd.

Bowthorpe Hall Rd:
        Off Wendene (Dereham Rd)
St Michael's Bowthorpe ruin from SE [6693] 1991-06-05
The church was unroofed in 1792. For photos taken before the boundary revision, see Norfolk, Bowthorpe.
St Michael's Bowthorpe ruin south side [6692] 1991-06-05
St Michael's Bowthorpe from NE [6691] 1991-06-05
Church and community centre built 1985.
St Michael's Bowthorpe south side [6690] 1991-06-02

Bowthorpe Rd:
        From Dereham Rd to Earlham Green Lane
Farrow Rd, Guardian Rd, Gipsy Lane

      South side
Bowthorpe Rd Earlham Cemetery North Lodge [7478] 1997-08-26
See also Earlham Rd for the cemetery.
Bowthorpe Rd Jewish Cemetery [7892] 2002-07-14
Established in 1856.
Bowthorpe Rd Jewish mortuary chapel [7891] 2002-07-14
From the east.
Bowthorpe Rd West Norwich Hosp offices [7798] 2001-01-28
Former isolation hospital, opened 1893.
Bowthorpe Rd West Norwich Hosp lodge [7799] 2001-01-28
Former isolation hospital. Medical officer's residence, gate keeper's lodge etc.
        North side
Bowthorpe Rd West Norwich Hosp Woodlands Ho [7796] 2001-01-28
Woodlands House. Built 1923.
Bowthorpe Rd West Norwich Hosp nurses' home [7790] 2000-12-11
Bowthorpe Rd West Norwich Hosp infirmary [7797] 2001-01-28
Upper part of the former Poor Law infirmary, built 1858-59, in background.

        From City Rd / Queen's Rd / Ber St to Trowse Millgate and towards Trowse Newton
Carrow Hill, Ice House Lane, King St, Martineau Lane

      East side
Bracondale angle in wall near Ber St Gate [3181] 1939-07-30
Bracondale wall near Ber St Gate [0016] 1934-01-21
Bracondale wall near Ber St Gate [3182] 1939-07-30
Bracondale 13 Bracondale School [6498] 1988-05-16
Bracondale 37 to 39 Regency period [6502] 1988-07-11
Bracondale 53 to 57 [6470] 1987-06-01
Bracondale removal of tram track view north [0285] 1934-09-09
The Trowse service was withdrawn February 1934.
Bracondale tram at terminus [0044] 1934-02-24
Trowse station. The Orford Place to Trowse station route just before its closure
Yare Trowse Bridge west side [0035] 1934-02-20
Earlier structures are mentioned in 1430 and in a Charter of 1556. King Charles II was met by the Mayor here in 1671 and in October 1697 Trowse, Harford and Bungay bridges were broken down by floods. The present bridge was built in 1863 by J.Stanley, contractor, and R.M.Hipson, County Surveyor. Widened in 1886, this portion collapsed during the flood of 1912 but was rebuilt a year later when T.H.B.Heslop was Surveyor.
        West side
Bracondale 54 Bracondale Manor House [1709] 1937-06-13
Built 1578.
Bracondale 54 Manor House 16c doorway [0471] 1935-04-20
Bracondale 56 Georgian doorway [0470] 1935-04-20
Bracondale 58 16c tower at rear [4677] 1962-06-17
Watch tower (adjoining south side of Bracondale Green).
Bracondale 58 Georgian doorway [0485] 1935-04-20
Bracondale 58 Tower House [1710] 1937-06-13
Bracondale 60 [1711] 1937-06-13
Bracondale 62 to 64 [1712] 1937-06-13
Bracondale 66 [1713] 1937-06-13
Bracondale 66 Georgian doorway [0472] 1935-04-20
Bracondale 70 [1714] 1937-06-13
Bracondale 72 [1804] 1937-07-18

Bridewell Alley:
        From Bedford St to St Andrew's St

      East side
Bridewell Alley 14c flint wall [0121] 1934-06-15
Facing the south side of St Andrew's Church stands the most remarkable surviving relic of the old Bridewell, a flint wall 79 feet long and 27 feet high, constructed of smooth black flints so well squared and put together "as scarcely to admit the edge of a knife between the joints". The building of which this wall forms a part was once the home of the Appleyard family – Bartholomew, who built it in about 1370, and his son William, the first to be elected Mayor of Norwich under its great charter of 1403. Its use as a Bridewell commenced in 1583, when it was purchased by the city for that purpose from Baron Sotherton.
In 1751 a fire destroyed all but the flint wall and the adjoining sequence of groined crypts. At this time a notorious character, Peter the wild boy, was incarcerated here. He, it is said, was brought over to England from Germany, where he had been found wandering in a wood in a naked and wild condition, having been lost there since he was a young child. The sign of a public house in nearby Bedford St perpetuates the association, and long may it continue to do so.
60 years later, in January 1811, so well behaved were the citizens that the Bridewell doors were thrown open for several days. This was the first time for many years that not one person was being confined there for any misdemeanour.
Unfortunately by 1826 the pendulum had swung in the opposite direction, the justices reporting that due to recent new legislation the accommodation there was "insufficient, inconvenient and inadequate": because of the increased number of commitments "a more commodious building should be erected or substituted". Two years later the prisoners were moved to the newly built gaol at St Giles' Gates (now the site of the Roman Catholic Cathedral), and in 1829 the Bridewell was sold to a Mr J.Curr for £1,140.
It was then put to a number of different uses, including use as a tobacco warehouse, and in the 20c until 1923 as a shoe factory. In that year it was purchased by Henry N.Holmes (later Sir Henry), who, after having it restored, presented it to the city for use as a museum of local industries. It was opened as such by the Duke of York (later King George VI) in 1925.
Bridewell Alley Museum Georgian doorway [0477] 1935-04-20
In Bridewell courtyard, but formerly at 13 London St.
        West side
Bridewell Alley 10 to 12 [2549] 1938-07-17
Bridewell Alley 14 to 16 [6359] 1986-05-02
Bridewell Alley 14 to 20 [1146] 1936-07-21

Britannia Rd:
        From Gurney Rd to Wolfe Rd
Plumstead Rd, Kett's Hill

      East side
Britannia Rd Barracks from St James' Hill [B184] 1931-00-00
Gurney Rd.
Britannia Rd Barracks officers' quarters [B183] 1931-00-00
Britannia Rd Barracks parade ground gateway [B182] 1931-00-00
Britannia Rd Barracks from St James' Hill [4884] 1965-03-13
Britannia Rd Barracks clock tower [7128] 1994-05-28
Britannia Rd Barracks as H M Prison [7629] 1999-05-09

Bull Close Rd:
        From Magdalen St / Magpie Rd / Magdalen Rd to Silver Rd

      South side
Bull Close Rd 86 to 94 [6556] 1989-06-24
98 Leopard PH.
North east corner tower from Wall Lane [B098] 1931-00-00
North east corner tower Bull Close Rd [0763] 1935-10-17
North east corner tower Bull Close Rd [0764] 1935-10-17
North east corner tower wall adjoining [0765] 1935-10-17
North east corner tower Bull Close Rd [0768] 1935-10-17
The only tower to retain its top vaulting.
North east corner tower Bull Close Rd [5301] 1970-05-27
North east corner tower Bull Close Rd [6001] 1979-04-15
North east corner tower wall adjoining [6047] 1979-08-31

Bull Lane:
        From All Saints Green to St Stephen's St
Bull Lane derelict workshops former stables [6232] 1981-08-27
At east end of north-east side of lane.
Bull Lane north end wall view NW [3842] 1950-03-25

Next street: Calvert St

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List