Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: St Peter's St

St Saviour's Lane:
        From Magdalen St to Blackfriar's St (formerly Peacock St)

      North side
St Saviour's Alley north side [0900] 1936-04-16
Off St Saviour's Lane.
St Saviour's Lane 19 to 21 [3265] 1939-09-17
Former Hope Brewery PH.
St Saviour's Lane 19 to 21 south side [0903] 1936-04-16
For 29 St Saviour's Lane see 34 to 36 Peacock St.
St Saviour's Lane 19 west side from Alley [0904] 1936-04-16
From St Saviour's Alley.
        South side
St Saviour's Lane 4 to 10 [0901] 1936-04-16
St Saviour's Lane 24 Pendleton House [0902] 1936-04-16
St Saviour's Lane leads off Magdalen St and runs parallel to St Crispin's Rd. Houses ranging in date from about the 16c to the 19c that formerly lined the lane have all gone: one side now being used as a public car park and the other being occupied by High-Tech House, which was built in 1938 as Mansfields' cardboard box factory. Before taking over this factory Mansfields had occupied as their offices No 24, a converted Georgian mansion called Pendleton House. As in most houses of this period, the main external feature was the front doorway, in this case not of wood but of plaster, with rusticated jambs and consoles supporting a pediment. The door recess was square-headed with a large keystone moulded into the shape of a human head above the lintel but below the pediment. An almost identical doorway, though not quite so tall, may still be seen at 54 Pottergate.
Pendleton House took its name from Mrs Elizabeth Pendleton, a widow who owned property here and in St Stephen's parish in the 17c. The historian Francis Blomefield gives details of her will, first read in court on 23rd June 1677, by which the rents from her houses were to be used for a variety of charitable purposes. Some of the money was to go towards clothing the poor and needy with winter garments, while other sums were to be spent in binding out poor lads or as loans to young tradesmen. The "overplus of her personals" was bequeathed to the Girls' Hospital, and under the same year Blomefield noted "This year, a Ring and several Diamonds, and £190, the Overplus of the personal estate or Mrs Eliz. Pendleton, was received by the treasurer [of the Girls' Hospital] according to her Will".
St Saviour's Lane 24 Pendleton House N side [2053] 1937-11-19
St Saviour's Lane 24 Pendleton House W side [2051] 1937-11-19
St Saviour's Lane 24 Georgian doorway [1508] 1937-03-26
St Saviour's Lane 24 Georgian doorway [2052] 1937-11-19
St Saviour's Lane 26 to 32 [0909] 1936-05-01

St Stephen's Back St:
        From Coburg St to Malthouse Lane
      later part of
Malthouse Rd
St Stephen's Back St 2 to 4 [1669] 1937-06-03
St Stephen's Back St 48 to 52 [1018] 1936-06-14

St Stephen's Church Lane:
        From Rampant Horse St to Malthouse Lane
      later part of
Malthouse Rd
St Stephen's Church Lane east side [1017] 1936-06-14

St Stephen's Rd:
        From Chapel Field Rd / St Stephen's St / Queen's Rd to Grove Rd / Ipswich Rd / Newmarket Rd

      North side
St Stephen's Rd 1 to 5 and Chapel Field Rd [4732] 1963-07-14
109 to 113 Chapel Field Rd on right.
St Stephen's Rd Chapel Field Rd rebuilding [4753] 1964-04-18
St Stephen's Rd 3 to 5 [2978] 1939-05-18
St Stephen's Rd 9 Coachmakers' Arms PH [7562] 1998-07-05
St Stephen's Gate mural sign [2157] 1938-03-13
On the Coachmakers' Arms Inn, St Stephen's Rd. Two panels depicting St Stephen's and Ber St Gates were executed by Mr J Moray-Smith, sculptor and painter. Standing on a scaffolding he built up the panels bit by bit from buckets of wet concrete. When the moulding and carving were finished, further time was spent in painting the panels and applying a coat of varnish to preserve the colours for years to come. The original pictures used were those drawn by John Ninham in 1792-3. St Stephen's Gate was demolished in 1793 and Ber St Gate in 1808.
St Stephen's Rd 13 [2058] 1937-11-27
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital entrance [4383] 1955-09-19
Central block, erected 1882, architects T.H.Wyatt and E.Boardman.
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital Charity [6324] 1985-05-31
"Charity" bronze statue by J.E.Boehm originally the centrepiece of a drinking fountain at Newmarket-Ipswich Rd junction. Moved to adjacent grounds of ex-N and N Hospital.
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital original [6459] 1987-05-19
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital SW wing [6460] 1987-05-19
Part of original 1771 building incorporated into the 1879-83 outpatient department.
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital main block [7355] 1996-07-07
Completed 1974, architect Michael Everitt.
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital maternity [7356] 1996-07-07
Outpatient department, opened 1971, and Maternity block, completed 1968.
St Stephen's Rd William Fellowes plaque [7592] 1998-10-02
William Fellowes of Shotesham, founder of N and N Hospital in 1771, with tablet commemorating 1927 opening of new outpatients department in honour of those who died in the Great War.
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital dispensary [7599] 1998-10-25
Dispensary and visitors' waiting room St Stephen's Rd, built 1927.
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital east ward [7600] 1998-10-25
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital A and E [7755] 2000-06-16
And maternity tower block.
St Stephen's Rd N and N Hospital nurse home [7756] 2000-06-16
Leicester Nurses' home. Opened 1903, architects Boardman and son.
        South side
St Stephen's Rd 24 [7561] 1998-07-05
St Stephen's Rd 42 and left Kingsley Rd 2 [7544] 1998-04-22
St Stephen's Rd London Terrace [7422] 1997-01-14
1 to 6 London Terrace.

St Stephen's St:
        From Rampant Horse St / Red Lion St / Westlegate to Queen's Rd / St Stephen's Rd / Chapel Field Rd
Surrey St, Coburg St, (formerly passing Bull Lane)

      South side
St Stephen's Plain 4 Ipswich Tavern to 5 [1030] 1936-06-16
St Stephen's Plain 4 Ipswich Tavern [2512] 1938-06-26
St Stephen's Plain 6 to 7 St Stephen's St 1 [4234] 1953-10-25
1 to 3 St Stephen's St on right.
St Stephen's St NE entrance building lines [4646] 1961-09-03
Showing new and old building lines.
St Stephen's St 1 to 3 [2794] 1938-09-05
3 would be partially destroyed by enemy action.
St Stephen's St 1 to 3 demolition [4239] 1953-11-29
The question of widening St Stephen's St, first arose in 1915, the Great Eastern Railway Company offering the City Council the sum of £10,000 towards the project. The railway company wanted a grander approach to its terminus Victoria Station (more recently the site of Sainsbury's). The offer, however, was refused (perhaps because of the war) and in consequence the following year Victoria Station was closed to all except goods traffic, passenger trains being diverted to the main terminus at Thorpe.
With the increase in motor transport in the 1930s the Council began studying the problem in earnest, but agreement could never be reached on the question of which side should be set back. On the east side stood the mediaeval Boar's Head inn and Crown and Angel public house, while on the west were two large department stores.
In the end the air raids of April 1942, solved the problem, the old thatched Boar's Head inn among many neighbouring buildings providing a vulnerable target.
After these losses, the City of Norwich Plan - 1945 found the street to have "few buildings of outstanding merit" and proposed that it be provided with dual carriageways and pavements 15 feet wide - the new buildings to be controlled in so far as materials, height and design were concerned. In 1953 a start was made by widening on the east side at the city end, the whole scheme being completed in the early 1960s, leaving nothing to attract the historically minded.
St Stephen's St 5 to 7 Boar's Head Inn [2793] 1938-09-05
Destroyed 1942. See also 2 Surrey St.
St Stephen's St 9 to 11 from site of 12 [4248] 1954-05-25
View across to Milletts, Purdys, Graftons and Sennitts from cleared site of 12 to 14.
St Stephen's St 15 to 31 [4611] 1961-06-18
Prior to demolition for street widening.
St Stephen's St 21 to 25 rear [4684] 1962-06-24
Prior to demolition for street widening.
St Stephen's St 25 to 31a [4398] 1955-09-26
St Stephen's St 27 to 29 rear and archway [4683] 1962-06-24
Prior to demolition for street widening.
St Stephen's St 35 to 37 [1023] 1936-06-14
37 partially destroyed 29th April 1942.
St Stephen's St 39 to 41a [1068] 1936-06-28
Destroyed 29th April 1942.
St Stephen's St 41 Crown and Angel PH to 43 [1423] 1936-09-20
Another casualty on 29th April 1942 was the Crown and Angel inn. This interesting old building, comprising Nos 41 and 43, originally formed one large house but was divided in its later years into two, the smaller portion becoming part of the inn and the larger (No 43) Page and Son's corn store.
It was the late Mr Ernest Kent who first drew attention to an interesting external feature, a stone bracket that supported the first-floor jetty at the right-hand end. On it was a coat-of-arms which Mr Kent made out to be "Argent, on a fesse Azure, three eagles displayed Or (for Clere) impaling Argent, a cross moline Gules (for Uvedale)". From this it was deduced that the dwelling was erected sometime between 1434 and 1492 as a town house, possibly on the site of an older building belonging to the Uvedales, for it was just inside the city walls and on the highway leading to their country estates at Tacolneston and Wymondham. Although the original town house of the Cleres was sited at the Old Barge inn, King St, the family was for long connected with St Stephen's district, as is shown by the register of that parish.
The upper storey of the building with its two substantial dormers was severely damaged in the blitz of April 1942, and the whole house was demolished four years later. The stone bracket with the coat-of-arms was transferred for safe keeping to one of the city's museums.
St Stephen's St 41 rear [1649] 1937-05-23
St Stephen's St 41a rear Browne's Court [1650] 1937-05-23
St Stephen's St 43 rear [1020] 1936-06-14
A stone bracket on the front of this house bore the Arms of Clere impaling Uvedale. From this it is deduced than the house was built between 1434 and 1492 by the Cleres on the site of an older building belonging to the Uvedales.
St Stephen's St 45 to 51 [4639] 1961-08-27
Prior to demolition for street widening.
St Stephen's St Wheatsheaf Yard [4612] 1961-06-18
Between 51 and 53. Prior to demolition for street widening.
St Stephen's St 63 to 75 Great Eastern PH [4638] 1961-08-27
Prior to demolition for street widening. Site of St Stephen's Gates.
St Stephen's St 65 to 75 [4613] 1961-06-18
Prior to demolition for street widening.
St Stephen's St 69 Bull PH [1026] 1936-06-14
Former St Stephen's Almshouses.
St Stephen's Chapel Field Rd subway trench [4754] 1964-04-18
Key Markets supermarket behind.
        North side
St Stephen's St 2 to 6 Marks and Spencer [4400] 1955-09-26
8 to 20 St Stephen's St were destroyed by enemy action in 1942 and when the premises were rebuilt the line was set back a few feet to improve the entrance at this end. It was also proposed to arcade below 2 to 4 to widen the road there, but the estimated cost proved prohibitive and that part of the scheme was abandoned.
St Stephen's St Marks and Spencer's store [6695] 1991-06-09
Originally built for Bunting's in 1912, architect A.F.Scott. An early example of reinforced concrete. The attic storey of hanging tiles was destroyed in an air raid in 1942 and never replaced.
St Stephen's St 6 [2773] 1938-09-02
St Stephen's St 6 to 8 Row and Taylor [4261] 1954-06-23
Old and new premises of Row and Taylor.
St Stephen's St 8 to 12 after completion [4373] 1955-09-01
Saxone and H.Samuel.
St Stephen's St Barwell's Court view east [4399] 1955-09-26
St Stephen's St 12 17c ceiling panel 6 [3495] 1940-08-23
Also lost in the war was 12 St Stephen's St, the premises of Barwell's the wine merchants. This contained a little-known feature, a magnificent 17c plaster ceiling. This ceiling had existed in the house formerly occupying the site, but was considered to be of such importance that when the premises were rebuilt towards the end of the 19c it was raised several feet and a new room built around it. Beams adorned with a moulding of oak leaves divided it into eight rectangular panels, four of which displayed large cornucopias figured in high relief. Of two others, each had a female figure, one holding an anchor symbolising Hope, while the other carried a book and a lamp (probably for Knowledge). The remaining two panels were blank.
Details concerning houses previously on this site and their occupants were given in East Anglian Notes and Queries Vol.9 by "A.E.R.", in a footnote to a paper on the account books of St Stephen's Church and parish. Among the earliest recorded owners was Thomas de Bokenham, Mayor in 1479 and 1486, who sold the property to Robert de Burgh, Sheriff in 1494 and Mayor in 1504. One of these probably built part of the cellars, which survived until 1942, while the latter built the Tudor mansion. Thomas Petingale bought the property in 1547 and sold it to Nicholas Baker, Alderman, who held it from 1576 to 1626. Here there was a break in succession; built into the property was a stone inscribed with the initial W./J.s F. and the date 1668, which is thought to be about the time the Tudor house was much altered. Later owners or occupiers included Francis Tavernier, "Oylman" of London, Alderman Goodman and Parrott Hanger, all in the 18c, followed by Colonel Knipe Gobbett and then the Barwells. The site was later occupied for many years by the Saxone Shoe shop, and later Superdrug's.
St Stephen's St 12 ceiling 1 cornucopia [3499] 1940-08-23
St Stephen's St 12 ceiling 2 Knowledge [3494] 1940-08-23
St Stephen's St 12 ceiling 3 cornucopia [3493] 1940-08-23
St Stephen's St 12 ceiling 5 cornucopia [3498] 1940-08-23
St Stephen's St 12 ceiling 6 Hope [3497] 1940-08-23
St Stephen's St 12 ceiling 7 cornucopia [3496] 1940-08-23
St Stephen's St 12 cellar air raid damage [3849] 1950-05-23
12 to 14 St Stephen's St.
St Stephen's St 12 cellar air raid damage [4247] 1954-05-25
12 to 14 St Stephen's St. Mediaeval brick vaulting of cellar damaged by enemy action in 1942. Barwell's Court in background.
St Stephen's St Loyalty Court view east [1802] 1937-07-17
St Stephen's St Loyalty Court view west [1035] 1936-06-16
St Stephen's St west side [4755] 1964-04-18
Site of 40 to 46 on left. 38 to 2 standing.
St Stephen's St 40 to 46 formerly Woolworth [7915] 2003-02-18
Sainsbury's when built in the 1960s. Now the site of an entrance to the Chapel Field shopping mall.
St Stephen's St Wades Court view east [1914] 1937-08-23
South side.
St Stephen's St 48 QD former Coop store [7720] 1999-11-28
Erected 1903.
St Stephen's St 52 to 62 [4658] 1962-03-28
Prior to street widening.
St Stephen's St 58 [5429] 1975-06-13
The Co-op.
St Stephen's St George Yard south side [1036] 1936-06-16
View west.
St Stephen's St 74 St Stephen's Gates [4657] 1962-03-28
Prior to street widening. Caley's chimney.

St Swithin's Alley:
        From St Benedict's St / Ten Bell Lane to Westwick St
St Swithin's Alley 14 to 16 Clarke's Yard [1081] 1936-07-06
St Swithin's Alley St Swithin's Hall [6650] 1990-09-28
Built 1908. West side.
St Swithin's Alley thatched cottages [B203] 1931-00-00
St Swithin's Alley thatched cottages [0583] 1935-05-17
St Swithin's Alley thatched cottage Rectory [2482] 1938-06-18
Adjacent to St Swithin's church in St Benedict's St is St Swithin's Alley where, straddling the lane, is an old house reconditioned in the 1930s by the Norwich Amenities Preservation Society. This is notable as one of the few ancient buildings within the city walls still retaining a covering of thatch. A yard at the rear bears the name of the Hampshire Hog, the sign of an adjacent tavern, being possibly the last house in England where the game of logats was played. The logats, resembling policemen's truncheons, were to be tossed as near as possible to a wheel-shaped jack which had previously been thrown towards the opposite end of the ground; there was some similarity to the game of bowls. A set of logats is preserved in the Strangers Hall Museum.
On the east side of the alley, overlooking St Swithin's churchyard, stood another interesting gabled house of about the 17c. This was once the St Swithin's parsonage, but in later years it became divided into a number of tenements and degenerated so much that in 1938 it had to be pulled down. This was a pity, as when viewed alongside its thatched neighbour it made a typical "artist's corner".
St Swithin's Alley 23 to 24 old rectory [1489] 1936-10-04
St Swithin's old rectory.

Next street: Salhouse Rd

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List