Norwich Street Photographs

Previous street: Queen St

Rampant Horse St:
        From Theatre St / William Booth St to Red Lion St / Westlegate / St Stephen's St
Malthouse Rd (formerly St Stephen's Church Lane)

      South side
St Stephen's south side from Church Lane [B099] 1931-00-00
From St Stephens Church Lane, later called Malthouse Rd.
St Stephen's tower S side from Church St [0173] 1934-07-17
The date 1601 refers to a restoration. The base or porch is 14c. Church St is now called William Booth St.
St Stephen's south side [2272] 1938-04-07
Mostly 16c and is said to have been finished in 1550 after the Reformation.
St Stephen's from NE [3205] 1939-08-07
St Stephen's west end [3348] 1940-03-23
St Stephen's interior view east [1873] 1937-08-12
Four-centred arcades and hammer-beam roof.
St Stephen's east window stained glass [1874] 1937-08-12
15c, 16c and 17c glass.
Silver Jubilee Rampant Horse St [0499] 1935-05-01
Silver Jubilee of Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary as celebrated at Norwich on 6th May 1935:
Prizes of silver cups were awarded in a competition for the best decorated premises in the following classes: Houses; Business Premises; Clubs; Streets.
Rampant Horse St 11 to 13 [1016] 1936-06-14
Facing Mingay House at the corner of what was then St Stephen's Church Lane (which became the north end of Malthouse Road) stood a fine Tudor house of three storeys. Timber framed and with walls of plaster, it had an overhang at both first and second-floor levels, with a small bracket supporting the upper corner. A long range of weavers' windows lit the top floor on the side overlooking the main street, and although tiled, one can imagine that the roof was originally thatched. Undoubtedly had it survived to the present time the house would have been listed as Grade I under the Town and Country Planning Acts.
Coronation Rampant Horse St Woolworth's [1626] 1937-05-14
Woolworths, Rampant Horse St, first prize business premises for the 1937 coronation decorations.
Festival Princess Elizabeth going to lunch [3995] 1951-06-18
Coronation Rampant Horse St Buntings [1561] 1937-05-09
1937 coronation decorations. At the corner of St Stephen's and Rampant Horse St stands the original part of Marks and Spencers, formerly Buntings the drapers: its architect, A. F. Scott. Built in 1912, it lost its attic storey during an air raid and after the war was internally remodelled.
        North side
Rampant Horse St 2 to 6 [2733] 1938-08-24
Rampant Horse St 14 [3206] 1939-08-07
In Rampant Horse St, very little here survived the disastrous air raids of April 1942. Until that time there was at No 14 the western half of a fine Georgian mansion - its eastern half having been demolished earlier in the 20c to be replaced by a branch of Boots the Chemists. What remained could hardly be said to have been improved by the large shop front, but the original central doorway was undisturbed. This was really the prize feature of the old building, its pillars, tympanum, jambs and lintel being all well executed. The elaborate carving which filled the tympanum has been surmised to represent the laurel branch vert, once part of the arms of the Mingay family, surrounding the initials "M.M." for the Reverend M.Mingay, the last of the family to own the property. On 29th September 1749, he conveyed it to one Timothy Matthews, a working carpenter.
A notable occupant was John Mackerell, who died in 1723 aged 80 and lies buried with his wife in St Peter Mancroft Church. He was the father of Benjamin, author of manuscript histories of Norwich, King's Lynn, and the parishes of St Peter Mancroft and St Stephen's, Norwich. At the beginning of the 20c Mr W.J.Sadd was the owner and it was occupied by the School of Music and various offices.
Rampant Horse St 14 Georgian doorway [2302] 1938-04-12

Recorder Rd:
        From Prince of Wales Rd to St Faith's Lane

      North side
Recorder Rd Stuart Court [6337] 1985-08-15
A commemorative tablet records that "these housen" were built by members of the Colman family in memory of James Stuart, 1915.
        South-west side
Recorder Rd First Church Christ Scientist [6494] 1988-04-13
Built 1934, architect Ibberson.

Red Lion St:
        From Westlegate / St Stephen's St / Rampant Horse St to Castle Meadow / Farmers Avenue
Orford Place, Orford Hill
Red Lion St 5 to 7 house at rear [6575] 1989-07-21
Approached from a yard on the west side of Westlegate.
Silver Jubilee Red Lion St Palmer's store [0523] 1935-05-05
Palmers, Red Lion St, commended. Silver jubilee decorations.
Red Lion St 9 to 15 [6508] 1988-08-06
9 (on right) built 1903 for Charles Larking Chartered Accountant, architect George Skipper.
Red Lion St 15 to 25 Anchor Buildings [7927] 2003-04-05
Red Lion St Orford Yard former stables [7536] 1998-03-10

Redwell St:
        From Queen St / Bank Plain to Princes St / Elm Hill
St Andrew's St

      West side
Redwell St 2 [7231] 1995-07-25
Redwell St Clement Court view NE [3221] 1939-08-07
Redwell St connects Elm Hill to Bank Plain, near to which was Clement Court. When in 1957 the Norfolk News Company extended their London St premises northwards and eastwards, the houses in this court, along with others facing Redwell St, were demolished. Until then the courtyard entrance, which was closed by an iron gate, had an ornamental grille set in the arch, with the keystone above inscribed "Clement Court 1816".
On the right-hand side of the court, just beyond the passageway from the street, stood a house of the late 17c or early 18c. It was chiefly this house that gave the yard its picturesque appearance, enhanced as it was by two dormers peeping from the roof and by a rather ornate doorway. Flanked on either side by pilasters with Corinthian capitals, the door was sheltered by an overhanging canopy resting on two carved wooden brackets. Further up the yard a one-storey building had since 1743 been used as a ballroom and dancing academy by Francis Christien and his son Edward; they were succeeded by Francis Noverre. During the latter half of the 19c it was a chapel, and it later served as the laboratory of the city analyst from 1900 to 1947.
From the historical point of view, though, the court’s chief claim to fame is now to be seen declared by the following inscription above its present entrance: "Near this spot on 6th September 1701, Francis Burges published the first number of the Norwich Post. The first English provincial newspaper."
Redwell St Clement Court 17c doorway [2299] 1938-04-12
North side of court.
Redwell St Clement Court fanlight grille [7811] 2001-04-01
Redwell St 3 north side mediaeval brickwork [4241] 1954-03-29
The curved construction suggests the angle of a chimney.
Redwell St 3 north side mediaeval brickwork [4242] 1954-03-29
Redwell St 3 north side mediaeval brickwork [4243] 1954-03-29
Redwell St Norfolk News company [4527] 1959-08-29
Erected 1959, architects Yates, Cook and Derbyshire.
Redwell St 8 south side from St Andrew St [6380] 1986-05-24
        East side
Church Alley Church House [4762] 1964-05-09
Off Redwell St.

Rider Haggard Rd:
        From Heartsease Lane
St Francis of Assisi Heartsease [4708] 1962-09-01
Built 1956-7, architect J.P.Chaplin. From Rider Haggard Rd.

Rising Sun Lane:
        Formerly from Golden Ball St to Scoles Green

      South side
Rising Sun Lane 1 [1315] 1936-08-25
Rising Sun Lane 17 to 19 [1270] 1936-08-16
Rising Sun Lane 21 Anchor PH Prospect Rd [1268] 1936-08-16
        North side
Rising Sun Lane 18 to 22 [1269] 1936-08-16

        From Prince of Wales Rd / Riverside / Thorpe Rd to Koblenz Avenue (formerly to Carrow Rd)
Riverside Colman's silo under construction [B578] 1933-06-07
J. and J.Colman.
Ship Rotterdam moored near Foundry Bridge [0141] 1934-06-28
Coronation Elizabeth Simpson lifeboat 1 [1576] 1937-05-12
Volunteer lifeboat from Gorleston at Foundry Bridge. Due to arrive at 10am on Coronation day, but owing to weather conditions it arrived an hour early.
Coronation Elizabeth Simpson lifeboat 2 [1577] 1937-05-12
Wherry Albion moored at Old Barge Yard [3833] 1949-10-14
King St.
Wherry Albion moored at Old Barge Yard [3834] 1949-10-14
Pavillon D'Or at Foundry Bridge downstream [4009] 1951-06-28
Visit of the Fleet of the Pavillon d'Or to Norwich - the first visit to England of this International Cruise since its inception in 1937. A contribution to the Norwich Festival. June 1951.
Civic visit Sea Cadet parade on Riverside [4257] 1954-06-06
Port anniversary rowers from Oulton Broad [6285] 1983-10-02
A flotilla of various kinds of rivercraft sailed from Oulton Broad via Haddiscoe New Cut to arrive at the Hotel Nelson by Foundry Bridge.
Port anniversary wherry Olive [6286] 1983-10-02
Lowering her sail.
Port anniversary steam boat Phaeton [6287] 1983-10-02
Norwich as a Port, 150th anniversary.
Port anniversary general view Hotel Nelson [6288] 1983-10-02
"The Regal Lady" on right.
Training ship The Lord Nelson [7589] 1998-09-27
Training ship Alnmouth [7590] 1998-09-27
Training ship The Lord Nelson [7824] 2001-05-10
Norwich Sea Cadets. Floating restaurant behind.
Riverside Walk UCI multiplex cinema [7716] 1999-11-27
Opened 26th November 1999. Wherry Rd.

Riverside Rd:
        From Thorpe Rd / Riverside / Prince of Wales Rd to Bishopgate / Bishop Bridge Rd / Gas Hill
Rosary Rd
Foundry bridge yacht station [7856] 2001-10-05
Wherry Albion toward Foundry Bridge [3832] 1949-10-14
Pavillon D'Or at Foundry Bridge upstream [4010] 1951-06-28
Pull's Ferry cofferdam for pipe laying [4749] 1963-10-05
Foundry Bridge dredger working north of [7801] 2001-02-09
Foundry Bridge dredger working view north [7802] 2001-02-09
Riverside Rd Bishop Bridge Inn SE sides [4545] 1960-04-03
Riverside Rd Bishop Bridge Inn NW sides [4544] 1960-04-03
From Bishop Bridge.
Riverside Rd Bishop Bridge Inn north side [4546] 1960-04-03
From Bishop Bridge Rd.

Rosary Rd:
        From Riverside Rd to Thorpe Rd
St Leonard's Rd

      East side
Rosary Rd 1 King's Arms PH from SW [4206] 1953-08-30
Rosary Rd 1 King's Arms PH from NW [4259] 1954-06-23
Rosary Rd 1 King's Arms PH from NW [4364] 1955-08-20
Rosary Rd Lollards' Pit Buildings [6326] 1985-06-02
Built 1854.
Rosary Rd 19 Chalk Hill House [6593] 1989-10-25
Rosary Rd 143 Rosary Lodge [7472] 1997-08-08
Rosary Rd 143 Rosary Lodge from SW [7486] 1997-09-14
Rosary Rd Cemetery mortuary chapel [7470] 1997-08-07
Established by the Rev Thomas Drummond in 1821.
Rosary Rd Cemetery Emanuel Cooper mausoleum [7473] 1997-08-10
Rosary Rd Cemetery John Barker monument [7474] 1997-08-10
John Barker, killed at Cattlemarket 1897. While helping to set up Tombland fair, one of his wagons ran backwards and crushed him to death.
Rosary Rd Cemetery John Barker bust [7487] 1997-09-14
        West side
St Matthew's Thorpe Hamlet from Rosary Rd [4691] 1962-07-07
Built 1851 in modern Norman style, converted to offices 1983, architects John Brown and Robert Kerr.
St Matthew's Thorpe Hamlet St Matthew's Rd [6255] 1983-04-15

Rose Lane:
        From King St / Cattlemarket St to Mountergate / Prince of Wales Rd

      South side
Rose Lane 5 [1317] 1936-08-25
Rose Lane Tudor Hall [6457] 1987-05-19
Built 1900.
Boulton St Tudor Hall east side [5899] 1978-04-25
Tudor Hall doorway, dated 1596, said to have come from a house in King St.

Rosemary Lane:
        From St Mary's Plain to St Miles Alley

      West side
Rosemary Lane 7 [6420] 1986-08-06
Rosemary Lane Pykerell's House east front [0442] 1935-04-14
"This is the southern part of a late 15th century merchant's house, which seems originally to have had a further extension to the north. In the centre of what remains is a small open hall (20 feet by 16 feet) with a fine open roof of tie-beam and queen-post construction. There was a bay-window recess on either side, the moulded rear arch of that on the north side still intact, while considerable indications of that on the south side remain. In the spandrels of the arches were four shields, now blank, but which once bore (Kirkpatrick's Notes) the arms of Pykerell with his merchant's mark, together with the arms of Norwich City and of the Mercers' Company. At the lower (eastern) end of the hall is the original stud-partition wall, which still retains the framework of three doors, leading to pantry, buttery and cellar. The kitchen (now no longer in existence) was probably further to the north, on the site now covered by a later building, and reached from the hall by passing through a courtyard. Early in the 16th century this end of the house seems to have been reconditioned. At the further west end is the former parlour with its large fire-place having moulded brick jambs. This room seems to have been reached by a lobby off the northern bay-window recess, in the west wall of which the top of a door-frame survives. Over this parlour is a large upper room originally reached by a separate staircase. Early in the 17th century a floor was inserted in the hall, and windows to light the upper part were made in the south wall."
"The house was apparently first known as Pilgrims' Hall, but it seems undoubtedly to have been built and inhabited by Thomas Pykerell, mercer, who was three times Mayor of Norwich, in 1525, 1533 and 1538. In the 19th century it became a licensed house and was known as the Rosemary Tavern. It so continued until 1931, when it was included in a slum-clearance scheme, but being bought by the Norfolk Archaeological Trust, its present owners, it was reconditioned and so saved from destruction. In the 1942 blitz the thatch was entirely burnt off and much damage was done to the building. It was saved by the Ancient Monuments Division of the Ministry of Works, who prevented demolition and did such first-aid repairs as were possible at the time, but for six years it remained empty and in a semi-ruinous condition. It has lately again been reconditioned and is now one of the oldest inhabited houses in Norwich."
(Rev J.F.Williams in The Archaeological Journal Vol.CVI, 1949)
Rosemary Lane Pykerell's House east front [2538] 1938-07-10
Rosemary Lane Pykerell's House north side [1751] 1937-07-04
Surviving portions consist of Great Hall with Parlour to the west and buttery and pantry to the east. It is one of the few thatched houses remaining in Norwich.
Rosemary Lane Pykerell's House hall roof [4444] 1956-06-11
Rosemary Lane Pykerell's House hall roof [4445] 1956-06-11
Rosemary Lane Pykerell's House oriel arch [4442] 1956-06-11
Great Hall Northern Oriel.
Rosemary Lane Pykerell's House spandrel [4443] 1956-06-11
Spandrel of Great Hall. On left, a fragment of stone moulding of arch formerly leading to Southern Oriel.

Rouen Rd:
        From Golden Ball St / Farmers Avenue / Cattlemarket St to King St
Thorn Lane, St Julian's Alley

      South-west side
Rouen Rd Prospect House newspaper office [6675] 1991-05-12
Eastern Counties Newspapers, erected 1969, architect Ronald Sims.
Rouen Rd Prospect House bronze sculpture [7750] 2000-05-06
By Prof.Bernard Meadows, 1968.

Royal Arcade:
        From Market Place to Castle St / Back of the Inns
White Lion St
Royal Arcade east entrance from Arcade St [4371] 1955-09-01
Silver Jubilee Royal Arcade view west [0520] 1935-05-05
Built 1899 by architect George Skipper in the "Art Nouveau" style on the site of the old Royal Hotel yard, formerly the Angel Inn. The facade of the hotel, built by J.Stannard in 1846, was retained above the entrance from Gentleman's Walk. See also 24 Market Place.
Royal Arcade Conservative Club entrance [6629] 1990-08-13
Royal Arcade White Lion St entrance [6625] 1990-08-07
Royal Arcade White Lion St entrance [7816] 2001-04-08

Russell St:
        Off Heigham St
St Barnabas' North Heigham from Russell St [4690] 1962-07-01
Built 1906. Modern version of Perpendicular.

Next street: St Andrew's Hall Plain

Text and photographs copyright George Plunkett

 Street List